Committed to the future

Photo provided by: Mya Mendoza

Senior Mya Mendoza poses in front of the welcome sign for Daytona State College, where she has recently announced her commitment to.

Applying for college and inevitably getting a decision is an exceptionally draining process. Over 4 million students submit college applications through Common App, an all-in-one college application service. The process of getting recruited for a sport, however, can be even more difficult. Even so, many athletes have been able to achieve their dreams of signing to play at the collegiate level. 

Not only do athletes looking to be recruited need to have exceptional skills and perseverance, they must show significant efforts academically and athletically to have the best chances of committing to a school. Hard work is required year-round, not just during the sports season.

Senior Mya Mendoza is part of the exceptional 6% of high school volleyball players that go on to play in college, according to ScholarshipStats.com.

“I made the decision to commit to Daytona State College with a full ride scholarship for volleyball,” said Mendoza. “I started playing volleyball at a very young age and I fell in love with the sport. I chose Daytona State because of the location that’s still really close to home, and the program and coach are amazing.” 

Deciding where to commit can be a tough choice, especially if receiving many offers. Senior swim team member Heidi Bruining faced this before verbally committing to Eastern Carolina University.

girls wre

“I received other offers from in-state Florida schools,” Bruining said. “My friend Polina is on the swim team there and helped me choose this school.” 

Most athletes find themselves announcing commitments early in senior year, and officially signing during the winter and spring. However, many athletes have announced their commitment earlier, including junior Kiley Strott.

“I committed October 5th, 2021 to the University of Central Florida for softball,” junior softball player Kiley Strott said. “What drew me to UCF was the coaching staff and family-like atmosphere.”

Besides having skills on the court, field or pool, athletes must work hard in the classroom as well. With a new wave of athletes beginning their high school experience, students who have been recruited to compete at the collegiate level have the opportunity to provide meaningful advice and feedback to encourage future success. As seniors prepare to graduate, many are leaving underclassmen with words of wisdom.

“I would tell athletes trying to commit to not rush the process and take your time,” said Mendoza. “It’s a long process, but in the end it’s worth it.”