Begin the blocking, here comes Hamlet

Photo provided by: Amelia Galliford

Abigail Bicker, Mikayla Walker, and Makenzie Daughtery participate in the blocking of Hamlet’s act 4 scene 5.

Amelia Galliford, Staff Reporter

Rehearsals for the upcoming production of Hamlet are in full swing. As the cast memorizes their lines and movements, the crew has begun helping with the blocking. Together, the play members work on blocking various scenes from part two of act four.

So blocking is when you move actors and pieces and props to where you want them on the stage,” drama teacher and director Cathryn Rinaldi said. “It’s super important because the movement and where people are standing and who they are standing with helps to portray what is happening in the scene. The importance of people, the relaxation level or the tension in the scene and the movements really help to tell the story.”

Blocking is a technique that was established roughly around 1961. This technique is vital to the production of play as it helps actors get to know their characters better and creates familiarity with how the scene is to be presented.  If blocking were removed, the play would not run as smoothly.

“Without blocking the show would be stiff, boring, and awkward. We spend weeks focusing on blocking and concentrating on the symbolism behind each movement,” junior and co-stage manager Finn Grieger said. 

This poll has ended.

What is the best Shakespeare play?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Blocking helps cast and crew prepare for swift transitions and particulate timing that must be met during the course of a play. During blocking, stage and cast members are given the opportunity to practice prop placements and stage movements. Additionally, blocking aids in planning costume changes and benefits those in the ensemble.

“Blocking for this is really important because as the ensemble we’re all playing a part of the ghost, ” freshman Gauge Spurlock said. “It’s going to appear as if the ghost is everywhere. so the blocking for that is important because you can’t have us all in one clump, we’re all spread out so it seems like that.”

Even with the current levels of stress, the cast and crew enjoy their time together and  are excited to perform Hamlet in December. 

“It is very stressful, I’m kind of still in like a stage of disbelief that I’m even going to be doing it, but I’m sure it’s going to work out,” said freshman Tess Nixon. “I’m so excited at the same time and the more we work on it the more I think it’s going to be a great show.”\