SAT Prep Courses: Worth the Expense

Grace Coughlin, Editor-in-Chief

Although I would love to say that I spent a few hours at the library with my nose in an SAT Prep book, took the test once, and moved on with my life, that is far from my experience. In order to reach my desired SAT score and please the college of my choice, I took the grueling exam three times officially, but over ten times in the form of practice tests. However, on the morning I received my last score report, the weeks of arduous preparation and money spent on prep classes proved to be well worth it.

Without a doubt one of the greatest benefits of taking an SAT prep course is the practice. Problems on the SAT, especially math (a subject in which I struggle to excel), typically follow the same pattern and are similar on every test. Practice tests administered by the prep course were timed and imitated an actual testing environment, requiring 100 percent of my focus and concentration. Not only was the rigorous practice helpful, but I also reaped the benefits of having a course teacher readily available to answer any questions and dispense advice on my most desperate, panicky days.

Yes, SAT Prep courses are expensive, time-consuming and boring. And yes, I reached the point where the mere thought of sitting through another practice test caused my stomach to lurch. But the dramatic increase in my score after enduring the prep class was invaluable to me; my resulting score could be the difference between a rejection letter and an acceptance letter from my preferred college. At the end of the day, the SAT prep program was not only instrumental in giving me an extra chance of getting into college, but it also provided peace of mind knowing that I gave this irritating exam my best try.

1 Comment

One Response to “SAT Prep Courses: Worth the Expense”

1. Kenneth Gladman on March 10th, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I think it is incredibly important to be properly prepared before taking the SAT. I find it sometimes difficult to focus and get motivated to study, having someone to help and answer questions would make all the difference. When it comes to getting into the college of your choice, SAT prep classes seem like a great idea. http://academicadvantagetutor.com/programs/test-prep-courses/sat/

[Reply]

SAT Prep Courses: Worth the Expense