SAT prep classes are a WASTE

The SAT test is helpful for college admissions boards to determine a student's readiness for college. Although, I personally believe that it it should not be as influential as other parts of an application.

Rafy Evans, Staff Reporter

While every other student started their vacation at the beach or an amusement park, my summer started at 8 AM at a SAT prep class. For five days a week for three weeks, I spent four hours learning the tricks and keys to achieving the highest score on the SAT. I attended Robie’s Learning Center because I was unhappy with my first score in which I had not attended any classes and did not use any tricks. But now after taking the SAT again over a year later, and after spending hundreds of dollars on a class, I am fuming at the idea of prep classes and the results of my second SAT score.

I have been in honors and Advanced Placement level classes throughout all of high school and I have succeeded in all of them. I like to be realistic of my capabilities, but never did I imagine my SAT score would not reflect the work I put into my courses. After spending a ridiculous amount of money on a prep class, I thought that my score would improve. But due to the large gap between the class and the SAT test date, I was extremely disappointed. I have taken the SAT four different times and each time, I have used different preparation in order to maximize my success. Funny enough, in three of my four tests, I scored exactly the same.

SAT prep classes are overrated, although I do believe that they are helpful when understanding how the test functions. Without the class, I would not know that questions continuously increase in difficulty or the time constraint of writing the essay portion. But overall, SAT classes are a waste of hard earned money coming out of a student’s budget. The most frustrating part is that standardized tests scores do not correlate to GPA and I wish colleges would understand that dilemma. But in order to achieve the success of college acceptance, it is important to have both. And in my case, I have become a victim of the stress of SAT scores affecting my future.