Doctor Strange Review

Linda Van Der Heyden, Staff Reporter

Marvel’s Doctor Strange is the fifteenth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch as the titular character and it follows his life as a surgeon to being a sorcerer who can master the elements of magic. The pacing of the film was very creative because it showed enough time to show the personality of Doctor Strange and his arrogance. His personality set off a chain of events to set up the natural conflict of the plot. He goes to find the Ancient One, played by Tilda Swinton. Tilda Swinton was very daring in her choices to be bald in the film. The traits she possessed were ones of mystery and wisdom. These character traits made her very cryptic and wise. I personally find that the villain of the movie was irrelevant because he had no real purpose. He seemed too similar to multiple villains in recent superhero films because he wanted to destroy the world and he overall had no real meaning to the plot. However he did provide a good foil to Doctor Strange who did not give up easily.

I also find that the special effects of the movie were visually creative. The way that the team behind the film presented magic to the movie viewer was visually stunning. Another thing that I found to be unique about this film was its use of humor. There were multiple serious scenes that had humor inserted in them that just caught me off guard. I enjoyed that this film knew when to make fun of itself.

Overall, Doctor Strange was very unique and humorous and it is another interesting Marvel movie.