Movie Review: La La Land

Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling perform in their main dance number in the hit movie musical, La La Land. The story is based in Los Angles as both characters struggle to develop their careers.

Jillian Kurtz, Features/Social Media Editor

“La La Land” took the movie and musical industry by storm with its release on Dec. 25, 2016.  I was very excited to see a musical in the movie theater, as I love seeing live musicals and am immersed in the arts world. The songs made the movie easy to follow and kept it interesting. There was never a moment when I felt bored or lost in the story. The film has broken the record for the most Golden Globe Awards, winning all seven of its nominations, including “Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy.” Ryan Gosling, who played Sebastian, had to learn to play classical jazz piano in just three months and earned a Golden Globe for his role. The movie, which cost $30 million to make, has brought in $77 million in revenue since its release.

Based in Los Angeles, Mia, an aspiring actress, played by Emma Stone, works as a barista on the Warner Bros lot serving coffee to big stars in hopes of becoming one of them. She is intrigued by a piano playing in a restaurant and finds Sebastian, a jazz music enthusiast, playing it. The initial encounter is awkward to say the least, as he gets fired from the gig shortly after Mia’s entrance. They run into each other again at a party later and hit it off leading to a big tap dance scene overlooking downtown Los Angeles. This was my favorite part of the film; it brought the two together through music and an incredibly well choreographed number.

I would absolutely recommend going to see this movie musical, as it takes viewers through the daily life of Mia and Sebastian on their journey to finding themselves and each other in a city that is known for breaking dreams.

How likely are you to see La La Land?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...