Girls’ Senior Soccer Night

Alex de la Osa, Business Manager/Social Media Editor

Photo provided by: Alexander de la Osa

Freshman Halie Jenkins runs past an Ocoee defender. The Girls’ Soccer team concluded their regular season with a 3-1 win against Ocoee on Friday Jan. 13.

The motto that the girls’ soccer team has gone by this season is to make the most of what is given to you, this was no different when it came to their senior night on Friday Jan. 13.  Less than perfect weather conditions made for what appeared to be a fitting ending to a less than perfect season.

“One thing I have learned from being a part of this team is to never be complacent,” senior Grace Russell said. “It’s easy to become comfortable in your current position, whether in skill or district ranking, but it’s so important to always work harder to not only maintain success but to surpass the level you’re at now.”

Despite the constant rain, the girls went on to defeat the Ocoee Knights 3-1 in their final regular season game.  Sophomore Rylie Jucker made two goals while junior Madison Diaz recorded one goal and one assist along with with one assist from junior Taylor Rakauskas.  This victory helped the girls finish their regular season on a three game winning streak.

“I think winning the last game of the season is huge for morale going into the district tournament,” assistant coach Melissa Dallenbach said.  “It is really important to win that last game because it is like a culmination of the entire season.  Wrapping it up with a win is just fun and for senior night it is a nice gift for your seniors too.”

The girls’ soccer team will graduate seven seniors this spring.  The young team, led by Diaz and Jucker, is hoping to carry on and build from their late season success.  Jucker and Diaz combined for a total of 12 goals this season.

“To finish off this season with a home victory was an incredible feeling because it showed just how much our team had progressed,” Russell said.  “We started off a little unsure of ourselves after the loss of many solid senior players last year, but after weeks of practice we finally began playing as a true team and each understood the individual movements and capabilities of our teammates. To end the season with a win really bolstered this progress. Not to mention how amazing a feeling it was to know I ended my very last high school soccer game with a win on our home pitch.”