Hidden Figures Blasts Off

Olivia Carter, Sports/Graphic Design Editor

Towards the end of winter break, I was able to see the recently released movie, “Hidden Figures.” Since its release, the film was nominated for two Golden Globe awards and earned nearly $100 million in revenue. Inspired by the true story of the African American women who helped NASA formulate calculations needed to launch satellites and rockets in the 1960’s, the film highlights the keen minds behind the success of the space program and how they dealt with the unjust treatment constantly delivered by their white coworkers.

The movie specifically follows Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, and Katherine Johnson, who were played by Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae, and Taraji Henson respectively. The three actresses take on the role of the so-called “human computers.” Through their sassy yet brilliant characters, the women grow and defy racism by using subtle, comedic tactics. The comical scenes within the movie allow for a lighter mood, yet do not eliminate the seriousness of the racism prominent in the 60’s. Their overall defiance and refusal to not give into the racial hatred demonstrated by their white colleagues leaves the audience feeling proud and in awe of their strong minded attitudes.

Ultimately earning positions highly coveted within the NASA community, the women defy all odds and prove that by staying hopeful and working hard, any barrier can be broken. The film concludes with a stressful and action packed ending, which covers an important space mission. I would highly recommend going to a local theater to see what happens and how the women contribute to the outcome. It is by far one of the best movies I have seen in a while and the life lesson taught in the form of comedy is highly beneficial to the audience.