Effects of International Student Mobility

Freshman Sharline Belliard and peers pose for a “student memory” photo at their school in Santiago De Los Caballeros, Dominican Republic. “I think it’s nice to take pictures from school,” Belliard said. “When you get older you can see all the memories you had.”

Photo provided by: Sharline Belliard

Sabrina Bonadio and Sarah McLaughlin

Many students at Lake Brantley High School have moved in their lifetimes, but only a few have moved from other countries to America. Moving from different countries requires a complete change in lifestyle. From varying cultures to new languages and even drastically different foods. The shift between different lifestyles brings hardships to many individuals, especially high school students.

One of the biggest changes that these students experience is in their school life. With school making up most of their daily lives, these changes can be difficult. Studies show that five million students are studying outside their home countries, more than double the 2.1 million who did so in 2000 (ICEF monitor). Each student has to go through a complicated transition. From learning different subjects in a new language to making friends, high school is easily the most challenging part of the transition. Senior Donelle Hamilton moved to Florida from Jamaica a few years ago.

“The process was very hard,” Hamilton said. “It was hard fitting in with the students and [meeting new] people was a challenge. Making friends [at school] was the biggest challenge [along with] getting accustomed to a different culture.

Many of the challenges accompanied by moving are difficult for students, but the majority of the students find that one challenge stands out in particular. That challenge being the distance away from the family and loved ones that stayed behind. After recently moving from the Dominican Republic, freshman Sharline Belliard shares the stress caused by the extra pressure.

“[The] different laws, school, making new friends, and moving in with my aunt, were tough,” Belliard said. “But being away from family is the hardest part because I see my family struggling to get a good house, jobs, and paying for food and I cannot help them.”

The challenges involved with moving combined can be tough to students to overcome. Many of the students that do endure and overcome these challenges experience a positive effect on their character. They gain experience from this process that will help them later in life and they become better people because of the struggles they have had to overcome.

“It was difficult because I was just learning the basics of English,” Belliard said. “If I wouldn’t have moved here, I wouldn’t be as advanced in English as I am today. At first [the changes] were difficult but now it is easier.”

About the Writers
Sabrina Bonadio, Reporter
Sabrina Bonadio is a first year staff member and is looking forward to a new year as a member of The Brantley Banner. She has always liked writing and hopes to further her skills as both a writer and a journalist as well as form new relationships with other students. In her spare time she...
Sarah McLaughlin, Reporter
Sarah McLaughlin is a senior at Lake Brantley High School and is also a first year Brantley Banner staff member. She joined the staff after taking journalism 1 last year and is excited for what this year has in store for her. In her free time, Sarah plays varsity lacrosse for the school and hopes...