Joel Chisholm

On+August+24%2C+Physical+Science+teacher+and+Athletic+Trainer+Joel+Chisholm+assists+his+students+in+keeping+an+organized+and+focused+learning+experience+in+his+classroom.+%E2%80%9CHe+explains+things+well+until+all+of+his+students+get+it%2C+Sophomore+Yarelis+Cintron+said.+%E2%80%9CIf+someone+is+having+trouble+with+something+he+will+sit+down+with+them+and+help+them+understand.+He%E2%80%99s+just+a+good+listener%E2%80%9D+
On August 24, Physical Science teacher and Athletic Trainer Joel Chisholm assists his students in keeping an organized and focused learning experience in his classroom. “He explains things well until all of his students get it, Sophomore Yarelis Cintron said. “If someone is having trouble with something he will sit down with them and help them understand. He’s just a good listener”

Photo provided by: Anisa Velazquez

Photo provided by: Anisa Velazquez

Anisa Velazquez, Staff Reporter

Joel Chisholm, a first year Physical Science teacher, balances teaching and athletic training on a daily basis to achieve a combination of both of his interests at once. While this may be Chisholm’s first year as a high school teacher, teaching is far from a new experience for him. Along with teaching many students in a monthly mentor program while attending Valdosta State University, he also has taught students in other countries to gain insight into the importance of education.

“I didn’t discover my love of teaching until I went to Colombia in South America and taught for two months teaching English to native Spanish speakers,” Chisholm said. “Interacting with the kids and getting to lesson plan and help facilitate that learning aspect for them was really awesome. I decided from there I would go get my masters in education.”

Being a first year teacher can be a new and exciting adventure. Chisholm is learning many lessons along the way. He describes himself as fun and energetic, yet demanding. Chisholm takes these characteristics into his daily teaching style to provide a fascinating experience for his students.

“I am most looking forward to watching my students grow and learn throughout the year,” Chisholm said. “They first come in as blank slates, and as you go along, you can see the maturity and improvements in not only their coursework, but also their personality”

In addition to teaching Physical Science, Chisholm is also an athletic trainer. As a child, Chisholm wanted to be involved in sports in some way, and when he decided to become a teacher in college, he realized he could achieve both goals at once. Chisholm arrives at school at 6:30 A.M., and can stay as late as 6:30 P.M. While this schedule can be rigorous, many student athletes agree that the effort he puts in is worth it.

“He was very helpful, even at their busiest time and really attended to each person despite the need for him everywhere,” sophomore and Cross-Country runner Ashley Klingenberg said. “He was very nice and checked up on me multiple times to make sure I was feeling alright.”

Chisholm, with a demanding occupation, believes in giving 110 percent in every aspect of his life. Whether it be teaching, athletic training, or even playing with his two year old dog, Pepper, in his free time.

“My favorite quote is heights by great men, reached and kept, were not obtained by sudden flight, yet they while their companions slept, were upward, toiling through the night,” Chisholm said. “Author unknown, but what it means is that hard work pays off. While other people fool around, people who do their work and stay on task will reach the greatness they want to obtain.”