Lydia Morgan

Lydia Morgan assists students in her Geometry class. Other teaching assistants were present during her fifth period class.

Photo provided by: Thalya Samuels

Photo provided by: Thalya Samuels

Thalya Samuels, Staff Reporter

Geometry teacher Lydia Morgan strolls down the building five corridor to find a couple of students waiting outside of her room.  Morgan and the students exchange pleasantries and enter the agreeable environment that is Morgan’s classroom. This is her second year teaching at Brantley and she has previously taught at Edgewater High School as well as an alternative school in Atlanta, Georgia.  

“I think because I have a strong spiritual background, I really don’t fear anything, except death [when it comes to students],” Morgan said. “What I look forward to is seeing my students succeed.” 

Morgan describes herself as goofy, crazy and organized. When she is not working, she mostly spends time with her four children. She attended Georgia State University and became inspired to teach when she was given an internship at an elementary school during college. Her father was a math professor, which contributed to why she initially did not consider teaching as a profession. 

“My dad was a professor and for punishment, he would make me do math problems,” Morgan said. “So, being a math teacher was the farthest thing from my mind when I was younger.”  

There are multiple disparities between the schools that Morgan has previously taught at compared to Lake Brantley High School. She thinks that these differences are what make her experience at Lake Brantley less troublesome. 

“I don’t have to deal with as many students with social issues as I did in the past,” Morgan said. “I was dealing with issues as far as poverty, and environmental and social issues.” 

Students find Morgan’s class to be very enjoyable and lighthearted. They value this because mathematics can sometimes be an unexciting subject. 

“I like how fun she is and how you can just be yourself,” freshman Amiracle Stephens said. “And yet, she still teaches you well enough to understand the lesson.” 

Her most memorable experience as a teacher was during Teacher Appreciation Week last year. Morgan, who is a huge fan of the American entertainer, Prince, was gifted a card with a picture of Prince by her seventh period class.  Additionally, she was given balloons by all of her previous classes that day. 

“I was actually crying,” Morgan said. “I still have it [the picture] hung up in my house up to today.” 

Aside from geometry, she aspires to teach her students important moral obligations that will help them in the real world. She believes that school should not just be about academic learning, but about learning important principles that help to develop someone as a person. She hopes to achieve this by heeding under the African proverb, “Each one, teach one.” 

“I want my students to be honest and hard-working,” Morgan said. “I think my biggest high is seeing students achieve success.” 

About the Contributor
Thalya Samuels, Reporter
Thalya Samuels is a first-year staff member on the Brantley Banner. She also participates in the Business Professionals of America chapter held at Lake Brantley. Thalya aspires to become a courteous, responsible, and hard-working member on staff. For her remaining years of high school, she wishes to be involved in many extracurricular activities, including National...