Major Watts Profile

Major Mark Watts sits in a golf cart as he reads his book. Spending time outside while he does not have a class is something he does frequently.

Photo provided by: Alexander Garofalo

Photo provided by: Alexander Garofalo

Alexander Garofalo, Staff Reporter

Major Mark Watts is the Commanding Officer of the Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp (AFJROTC) Program. As the head of the AFJROTC Program, he has a lot on his shoulders. He was in the U.S. Air Force for over 20 years and has been teaching at Lake Brantley for 19 years.

“I feel that I am structured, disciplined, but I am also very laid back,” Watts said. “I am not who you would call one of these gung-ho macho military people.”

Enlisting in 1979, Watts did not even know about the Lake Brantley AFJROTC Program until his last assignment where he was stationed at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. However, once he heard about the program at Brantley, he realized that it would be something he would really enjoy doing. Watts really enjoys being able to teach young AFJROTC cadets about what he has learned throughout his career and life.

“I mostly enjoy being able to work with young people because it is like a mission fill to me,” Watts said. “I can make a positive impact on them and help them with their life choices. If they ask me for help, I usually tell them what I tell my daughter:  do an assessment, what do I like, what am I good at.”

Watts enjoys what he does, while at the same time keeping his cadets engaged in learning about what it means to be part of the AFJROTC. As his cadets learn how to properly and safely shoot firearms, they also learn about proper etiquette. His cadets can stay focused on what he has to stay, as well as remaining interested throughout the class itself.

“He is very laid back, calm and kind of like a grandpa, always telling stories to the corps,” junior Tanner Chamness said. “He also keeps us engaged throughout the class.”

About the Contributor
Alexander Garofalo, Staff Reporter
Alexander Garofalo is a first year staff member who has wanted to be a part of the Brantley Banner Staff since his freshman year. Alexander is currently a sophomore and a second year member of the Lake Brantley Rowing Association (LBRA). Alexander is delighted to say that he received “Most Team Spirit Award” on his...