Homecoming Reschedule

In preparation for hurricane season, the trees in the courtyard were trimmed and debris was scattered along the path to the theme day judging during homecoming week.  The homecoming dance and Powder Puff game were rescheduled as a result of Hurricane Irma.

In preparation for hurricane season, the trees in the courtyard were trimmed and debris was scattered along the path to the theme day judging during homecoming week. The homecoming dance and Powder Puff game were rescheduled as a result of Hurricane Irma.

Photo provided by: Katie Turkelson

Photo provided by: Katie Turkelson

Xander Ordinola, News Editor

Due to the unexpected effects of Irma, some of the events for homecoming were forced to be moved to future dates. The Leadership team was able to persevere and reschedule these events moving the Powderpuff game and the dance to Nov. 8th and 11th, respectively.

However, certain events could not be moved, specifically the pep rally. Since the next two home games already had pep rallies, there was simply not enough room to add a homecoming pep rally. In addition, there are other factors that may affect decisions, such as student body interest, availability and administrative approval.

“Band MPA, Chorus MPA, all of these came into play,” Leadership teacher Mary Cumberland said. “Think of all the number of students that are in band and in chorus. Two days we had to reswitch because so many of them go from morning to until ten at night.”

The Leadership team was able to make these arrangements before school closed due to the hurricane. Other schools, such as Lyman, had similar problems but could not reschedule events beforehand. However, there could be some unseen benefits to the extended dates of events.

“It’s actually a good thing for the kids,” Cumberland said. “It’s giving them more time to buy homecoming tickets so they can start saving.”

These changes are not adding extra expenses to their original estimated cost. For example, the DJ has worked with the Leadership team before and is willing to work on a different day. Therefore his non-refundable fee is not wasted.

“As an association, rescheduling an event is upsetting,” Student Government Association  president and senior Carlos A. Oquendo Beltran said. “This motivates us to elevate our skills as leaders, and make the rest of the year’s events as flawless as possible.”