You had one job Irma

The Majesty building is given the nickname of

Photo provided by: Emily LaMontagne

The Majesty building is given the nickname of "I4 EyeSore" by the surrounding community. Construction on this building began in 2001 and has yet to be completed. "That building is the ultimate Florida meme and if it just blew away from the hurricane, it would be the most ‘Florida thing’ ever,” senior Francesca Natal.

Emily LaMontagne, Web Editor-in-Chief and Business Manager

After many offices, buildings, and homes were destroyed from Hurricane Irma, one remained: the Majesty Building, more commonly known as the “I-4 Eyesore.” Construction on this multipurpose building started in 2001 and was predicted to take only two years.  However, this year marks the 16th year of construction, with little progress being made. Many people of the Brantley community have remarked that Irma failed at the one job it had, tearing down the “eyesore.”

During the years of idly standing by, people have formed different opinions about whether or not the Majesty building should be abandoned. Some residents have grown to see the building as a defining symbol of Orlando and do not want it to be torn down, regardless of whether or not it is completed. However, others have come to see the building as a nuisance due to its abandoned looks.  In fact, these residents were hoping that Hurricane Irma would destroy the building and flooded social media sites with memes saying “you had one job Irma” after the hurricane failed to do its job.

“It would have been funny if Irma had destroyed the building,” senior Francesca Natal said. “That building is the ultimate Florida meme and if it just blew away from the hurricane, it would be the most ‘Florida thing’ ever.”

The Majesty Building is planned to become the home of the commercial broadcast station SuperChannel 55. Construction of the 18 floored Majesty building is planned to be completed debt-free, causing construction to stop until SuperChannel 55 receives enough money to continue. Funds are coming from donations and pre-leasing office condo space within the building. Money is also being raised through sale of brick pavers for the “founders walk.”  These pavers have six sides and are ten-by-ten inches, allowing for up to three lines of a personalized message to be engraved on the stone. Prices for the stone start at 2,000 dollars and increase depending on how many pavers are purchased.

“In my opinion, the people that paid for an engraved stone in front of this building deserve a refund,” senior Carlos Oquendo said. “The I-4 eyesore is not taken seriously throughout the Central Florida region. They do not deserve to live with the burden that they invested in a failed project.”

Standing at a height of 307 feet, this building will serve numerous purposes once construction is completed. The rotunda and second floor of  the Majesty Building will hold restaurants and retail stores. The rest of the building includes a tower made out of glass starting at the fourth floor, which will hold convention areas, meeting rooms, and office spaces that are leased out. The building will serve the needs of many diverse groups, including SuperChannel 55 by including TV broadcast studios. President of SuperChannel 55, Claud Bowers, announced plans for the Majesty Building to be completed within the next 18 months, however only time will tell if this will actually be accomplished.

“I seriously don’t think that they eyesore on I-4 will ever finish construction,” sophomore Catherine Hill said. “I think if they were going to finish, they would have done it by now. I want to see the building finished so that it will actually be useful and serve a purpose.”