Alterations to the Arts

Advanced Placement Photography student Aaronn Leon captures a unique self-portrait with Earthy undertones and a naturalistic style background.

Trinity Hartman, Entertainment Editor

Alex Garver, the Advanced Placement (AP)  Photography teacher, has been teaching digital and film photography classes at Lake Brantley for the past three years and believes that the new AP Photo class is essential. The Advanced Placement Photography class was added this year due to the amount of students who desired a higher level photography class. Because of this addition, new teacher Ariana Fizudeen was hired to teach digital photography and film.

“The AP studio 2-D art class is the same thing I’m teaching except my class will be using photography as their main medium of creativity,” Garver said. “There was a lot of students who had unbelievable talents and I wanted them to have a chance to take a course that would allow college credit.”

Garver explains that the AP Studio 2-D Art class has been extremely successful. The students in the class have already submitted artwork to The Orlando Museum of Art and are waiting for the results that dictate whose artwork gets selected to be in the museum. The 2-D AP Art class was split into two classes, composed of AP 2-D Design and AP 2-D Drawing. AP Design focuses on the elements of design and the placement of different components in an art piece, while AP drawing focuses on drawing skills alone. The exams for both of these classes consist of a total of 24 pieces of art and five of the most appealing pieces of art are sent to CollegeBoard.  

“Everything is my favorite part [about teaching photography],” Garver said. “I would say my very favorite part is when a student gets accepted into an art show and wins a ribbon because all of their hard work pays off. They get recognized for doing something that they love to do.”

Administration has also decided to switch the order in which the students take the classes. Originally, Photography one was about learning film photography and Photography two was focused on digital works. Now, Photography one is changed to digital photography and film is used in more advanced classes. The reason the school decided to make the change was because film costs more than digital photography and is far more forgiving when the students are learning.

“What inspired me to take photography was the idea that no matter how hard you try you can never capture that exact moment ever again, it’s purely a frozen moment in time,” junior and Photography 3 student Taryn Lesse said. “I do plan on taking AP Photography because there is so much more I have to learn and I’ve nearly scratched the surface.”

First year public school teacher Fizudeen teaches Art 2-D, where students learn the fundamental elements of art and design principles. She also teaches Creative Photo 1, which is a digital based class where students take photographs and learn how to use Photoshop effectively.

“My favorite part of teaching photo is to see what and how students take pictures,” Fizudeen said. “You can tell what the students are interested in by just seeing what they photograph, and you can also start to see how they view their surroundings.”