There Was No Rain On Our Parade

Grace Staudenmaier, Staff reporter

On the afternoon of  Sept. 7, Lake Brantley Leadership held its annual homecoming parade. Despite a looming hurricane, the parade went on as scheduled and included the school’s very own marching band, Sparklers, cheerleaders, and a variety of clubs. All LBHS and Forest City Elementary students attended the parade which was also open to Lake Brantley alumni and families.

“We give all clubs the opportunity to march and all of them are given papers to return if they would like to march in the parade,” senior Dante Edwards said. “We got a lot of clubs involved this year, some for the first time and others returning from previous years”

Edwards was the project leader for the parade, with this being his third year working on it. He was trained his sophomore year and this year he was responsible for running the event. The senior class sponsor Nicole Salkaus also helped with the parade.

“My first year I was being trained to do the parade so it was more like small tasks and then I took on more responsibility,” Edwards said.  “This year I was the project manager for the parade so a lot of bigger tasks like contacting the corporations to make sure they would participate”

The elementary students viewing the parade has become a tradition at the parade. Students such as senior Maddie Tolliver look forward to seeing the kids each year. Tolliver marched with the band for the fourth year in a row.

“I think the most special part of the parade is seeing the little kids,” Tolliver said. “All the elementary schoolers make little hats and all those little cute things and it’s always really fun for them because they get to be inspired by the band and all the high schoolers.”

Every year, each class participates in a competition in which they build their own float and the winner receives money for their class. This year the freshmen did not have a float, but they still walked in the parade.

“The senior class won the contest this year,” Salkaus said. “All of the students involved were excited. The senior class won five hundred dollars for their float. The students put in a lot of work and it really payed off.”

Lake Brantley’s parade includes such a variety of groups that all students can find something to enjoy. From seeing class floats, to listening to the band play, and waving to the homecoming court, the parade holds plenty of fun for students.

“The parade is something I’m definitely gonna miss after I graduate,” Tolliver said. “It’s hard, the heat is brutal out there because we have to wear blue jeans, but it’s worth it in the end. It’ll always a special memory that I can look back on.”

About the Writer
Grace Staudenmaier, Reporter
Grace Staudenmaier is a first year staff member and is looking forward taking part in The Brantley Banner staff. She is in her senior year and plans to study to become a writer after graduation. She hopes to move to New York to go to school and start her career as possibly a novelist or...