Harry Styles concert review

Musician and ex-boyband member Harry Styles begins to make his impression on the state of Georgia as the concert starts. The crowd went wild when the curtain dropped, revealing Styles standing center stage, acoustic guitar in hand.

Photo provided by: Grace Hefner

Photo provided by: Grace Hefner

Grace Hefner, Features Editor

Eager fans waited hours in line on Oct. 8 with hopes of getting a good view of household name and former world renowned boy-band member, Harry Styles, as he so beautifully made the transformation from teen heartthrob to a true rock star. Styles’ performance of his debut album took place at the Coca-Cola Roxy Theater in Atlanta, Georgia.

Being a die-hard fan since 2012, there was not a question as to whether or not I would spend the hours leading up staking out my place in line. Unable to convince my companions that it was reasonable to arrive any earlier, I arrived at 8:30 in the morning. I definitely got to say “I told you so” when there were already around 500 people in line upon our arrival. The line was placed in the Atlanta Braves stadium across the street, where it was a chilly and wet 11 hours. Styles’ fans all seem to follow his motto, “treat people with kindness,” making the concrete naps and preservation of phone battery a surprisingly pleasant experience.

Once into the venue, opening alternative band, Muna, took the stage. From their unthinkably trendy haircuts to their unique music style, Muna definitely took me by surprise and made me an instant fan. The band’s quality performance and stage presence most likely could be accredited to the fact that they embrace their genuine selves and emotions.

As for Styles, he is not only a great performer, but a fashion icon as well. Whether it was due to the southern heat or a simple desire for change, he skipped out on his usual unique printed suit picked for each concert, wearing a maroon sleeved shirt and yellow-gold floral pants. By the time he began, I had managed to position myself just a few rows back from the stage. In such an intimate venue, there really are not any bad seats, but the feeling of being that close to an idol of mine was like nothing I had ever experienced. Along with his own hits such as “Sign of the Times” and “Ever Since New York,” he also put his own spin on some hits from his past in One Direction, remixing “What Makes You Beautiful” and “Story of My Life.” To say I was excited and emotional is an understatement.

From screaming along with excitement to every song to the tears of joy I shed when the water bottle he threw ended up in my hands, it is safe to say that Styles has blossomed into an incredible performer and entertainer. I hope to see him in a small venue again one day, but as for now, his next tour date near here will be on June 9, 2018 at the BB&T Center in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.