Ed Sheeran concert review

British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran captivates the audience as he plays  his acoustic guitar. Sheeran performed his new album

British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran captivates the audience as he plays his acoustic guitar. Sheeran performed his new album "Divide" at the Amway Arena in Orlando on Aug. 31, 2017.

Photo provided by: Grace Hefner

Photo provided by: Grace Hefner

Grace Hefner, Features Editor

On Aug. 31 British singer and songwriter Ed Sheeran came to the Amway Center in downtown Orlando. His most recent album “÷”, pronounced “Divide,” is a diverse mix of everything. From slow songs to get listeners in their “feels,” to high tempo dancing songs that showcase Sheeran’s Irish roots, the album is filled with new fan favorites.

After opening act James Blunt, most known for his 2004 chart topper “You’re Beautiful,” Music industry’s favorite ginger singer/rapper took the stage. Aside from one song, Sheeran was the sole performer on stage. Every sound that rang through the stadium was either his voice, him playing his guitar, or a beat that he created with his loop pedal. A loop pedal is a tool that musicians use, allowing them to make multiple sounds each only one time and have them play together repeatedly to form a beat to sing over. The fact that he does this in front of the audience before every song, and does it so flawlessly each time, amazes me.

Sheeran sang popular songs such as “Castle On a Hill” and “Shape of You” as well as lesser known tracks such as  “Galway Girl” and “Nancy Mulligan,” my personal favorites. I enjoyed how he catered to all fans, singing his iconic “A Team” for those who may not know many songs, as well as bonus tracks and extended versions of songs for fans such as myself who will still know every word.

Overall, Sheeran is a true musician and a poet if there ever was one. Though his ginger hair and accent make him easily identifiable, his voice, humbleness, and lyrical abilities can stand alone, making him a true icon in the music industry. Despite my being a fan for upwards of seven years and knowing every word to every song, it is safe to say that regardless of experience, everyone had the time of their lives at the concert.