Donald and the Dreamers

Photo provided by: Created using Adobe Spark

Grace Staudenmaier, Staff Reporter

On September 5th, Donald Trump’s plan to end the Obama administration’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA) was announced. New applicants will be no longer be accepted, and for current dreamers, all DACA renewal applications were due on October 5th. The program allows for people who entered the United States under the age of 16, with an education and no criminal record, to legally stay in America for a two year time period.

When these individuals applied for DACA they trusted the federal government in exchange for a chance at a future. Dreamers are the children of parents who wanted them to have better lives and risked everything to bring them to America. The Dreamers revealed their identities and gave  fingerprints after being promised that this information would not be used to harm them. The decision to end DACA is a betrayal by the federal government. DACA was a program of hope that allowed these individuals to follow their dreams, receive an education, and pursue careers, but the threat of deportation has made the future of Dreamers ambiguous and harrowing.

Young adults starting college should be worried about exam week and finishing essays in time for their deadlines. Instead, Dreamers have been put into a position where their lives are in constant risk of being uprooted. Our president and his supporters need to see them as human beings, not just “illegal aliens”.

Dreamers are being punished for decisions that were made for them. They were just children when they entered this country. For the majority of them, America is the only life they know. They do not remember the country they were born in and have no knowledge of living in another land. America is their home. Dreamers were promised a chance to succeed, but instead face the chance of being  deported to a country they have no recollection of with no family or friends to guide them. Trump is not targeting rapists or criminals.

These people are college students, peers, co-workers, and community members – people with hopes and dreams similar to our own. To deport all of these people is cruel. Dreamers are human beings, each with their own family, fears, and aspirations. The country written on their birth certificate is not representative of their worth. They are not pawns or a blemish to be wiped away because they don’t fit the president’s  political vision.

President Trump argues that the Dreamers are draining our resources and taking our jobs. However, the Dreamers are educated, young individuals who can help to boost  our economy and support a rapidly aging population. They work for American countries and even inspire American children to pursue an education. The Dreamers are not villains here to wreak havoc on the United States. They are here to live their lives to the fullest, live up to their potential, and to live the lives that their parents dreamed that they could.

The question of the treatment of Dreamers is, in the end, an ethical one. What kind of people are we? How do we treat the strangers at our door? The Dreamers are not even strangers, we have known them almost all of their lives.

About the Writer
Grace Staudenmaier, Reporter
Grace Staudenmaier is a first year staff member and is looking forward taking part in The Brantley Banner staff. She is in her senior year and plans to study to become a writer after graduation. She hopes to move to New York to go to school and start her career as possibly a novelist or...