Districts Swim Meet

At+the+districts+swim+meet%2C+on+Oct.+27%2C+the+boys+from+Brantley+race+against+seven+other+high+school+teams.+Overall%2C+they+placed+third+in+the+meet+and+those+whose+swim+times+ranked+in+the+top+eight+moved+on+to+the+regionals+swim+meet.+
At the districts swim meet, on Oct. 27, the boys from Brantley race against seven other high school teams. Overall, they placed third in the meet and those whose swim times ranked in the top eight moved on to the regionals swim meet.

Photo provided by: Emily LaMontagne

Photo provided by: Emily LaMontagne

Emily LaMontagne, Web Editor-in-Chief

The district swim meet was held at the James M. Sprinkle pool on Friday Oct. 27.  Brantley hosts this annual swim meet for the seven attending teams. Overall, both the girls and boys teams for Lake Brantley placed in third at the meet. Swimmers whose race times ranked in the top eight of the competitors continued to the regionals swim meet that was held on Nov. 2, at the University of Florida in Gainesville. The districts swim meet began at 4:30 p.m. and ended around 7 p.m. that day, with tickets costing five dollars. Brantley’s swim season began the first week of school with tryouts. The swimmers were then split into a junior varsity team, coached by Jill Jucker, and a varsity team, coached by Clay Parnell. At the beginning of the season, swimmers work on perfecting all of their strokes.  However, as the season progresses, the swimmers begin to train specifically for the strokes they will be swimming at the championship meets. About two weeks before districts, the team tapered, the gradual decrease of difficulty during practices, in order to prepare for the meet.

“I liked swim season because of the team atmosphere,” sophomore Katie Noonan said. “It was positive and everyone was very encouraging to everyone throughout their swims, no matter what.”

Photo provided by: Emily LaMontagne
At the districts swim meet on Oct. 27, sophomore Katie Noonan responds with an excited face when she found out her time for the 500 meter freestyle was eight seconds faster than her previous time. Students from ROTC helped at the swim meet by timing the races.