Girls’ cross country and Juan Moscoso make it to states

Junior+Juan+Moscoso+is+pictured+running+during+the++Florida+High+School+Cross+Country+State+Championships+on++November+11.++Moscoso+is+the+only+boy+that+made+it+to+this+year%27s+competition.+
Junior Juan Moscoso is pictured running during the  Florida High School Cross Country State Championships on  November 11.  Moscoso is the only boy that made it to this year's competition.

Junior Juan Moscoso is pictured running during the Florida High School Cross Country State Championships on November 11. Moscoso is the only boy that made it to this year's competition.

Photo provided by: Christopher Tucker

Photo provided by: Christopher Tucker

LBHS Morning Show

Thalya Samuels, Staff Reporter

On Nov. 11, the girl’s cross country team and one member of the boy’s cross country team gathered at the Apalachee Regional Park in Tallahassee for the Florida High School Cross Country State Championships. After a challenging course, the girl’s team finished sixth, with sophomore Ashley Klingenberg finishing in 7th place with her time being 18:31. Junior Juan Moscoso of the boy’s team finished in 28th place with his time being 16:28.

To prepare for the upcoming season, the cross country teams performed a variety of workouts. These workouts included tempo runs, fartlek, and long runs. Tempo runs are workouts usually completed in the woods or on trails, so that one is not aware of exactly how far they are running.  A fartlek run involves constant moderations in speed during the run. Long runs are performed to improve endurance. Along with the aforementioned workouts, days in which runners perform less vigorous exercises are incorporated to avoid injury.

“Practice involves warm up laps around the track, static stretching, dynamic stretching, Ms. Tony’s encouraging words, a workout specific to the day, and a cool down/stretching period,” Klingenberg said. “I can’t say specifically the average mileage per season due to a wide variety of workouts, but per week we run a mileage ranging from 20, the minimum, to 40 probably being our maximum.”

The boy’s team experienced difficulties during the season. Two of their top five runners graduated last year and the team had to adjust to their absence. Fortunately, they were able to have runners from the previous year meet the needed times.

“The boy’s team had a lot of work to do coming into the season,” Moscoso said. “In the end we came in fifth place at districts, two points ahead of Winter Springs.”

Prior to the states competition, runners had competed in the regionals competition, which showed promising results. Despite being the only boy to make it to states, Moscoso was not anxious about the race.

“I was extremely pleased with my performance, it showed me I had a good shot at running well at states,” Moscoso said.  “The only disappointment was that the boys team [as a whole] didn’t make states.”

The opportunity to compete in states is a coveted experience for runners. Contestants get to compete with the top runners of high schools across the state. In this year’s competition, Brantley runners saw powerful and gifted runners.

“Any competition in the state series is a thrill,” Klingenberg said. “Everyone around you has worked just as hard as yourself to get where they are and it’s mind blowing to see how many talented athletes our state can produce.”

Despite the difficulties they may have faced, runners viewed the season optimistically. All team members felt that they worked extremely hard and that their accomplishments were well deserved.

“I thought the performance of our team at regionals and states was great,” freshman Alex Park said. “I think we really worked hard to get to that point and it was a lot of fun to be with my team.”