Early Signing Day: a memorable event at Lake Brantley

A group of Lake Brantley Athletes gather together and smile after signing the National Letter of Intent in the Community Room on Early Signing day. Family members, friends, and coaches watched as the athletes commit to where they will continue their athletics while furthering their education.

Photo provided by: Katie Turkelson

Photo provided by: Katie Turkelson

Diana Torrealba, Staff Reporter

Athletes all around the country made their college decisions official on Wednesday Nov 8. At Lake Brantley signing day ceremony was a celebration for families, and athletes. Coaches who gave a personalized speech to every athlete. Athletes gave speeches to their love ones and coaches. The ceremony was held in the community room after school where athletes signed the National Letter of Intent.

The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is a voluntary program governed by the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) and administered by the NCAA. By signing an NLI, the college-bound student-athlete agrees to attend the college or university for one academic year. In exchange, that college or university must provide athletics financial aid.

“Signing day is a day where all the verbal commits get to make it official and be recognized in front of their family and friends. I’m looking forward to swimming with a new group of people I’ve never met,” senior swimmer Jessica Harris said. “It also means time to recognize and to continue with my training in college for four years.”

All sports offer an early signing period except for field hockey, soccer, track and field, cross country and men’s water polo. The regular signing period for the aforementioned sports occurs from February 1 to August 1, 2018. The early signing period for sports that allow it usually occurs in mid-November. This year during the ceremony, twelve Lake Brantley athletes representing the lacrosse, softball, swimming and crew teams signed their National Letter of Intent.

“When you can play your sport while working on a degree at the college that means you can joggle a lot of responsibilities,” Athletic director Jerri Kelly said. “I think that makes you more prepare for life after education. Life is competitive so sports help you to teach that.”

Practice and being the best at your sport are not the only requirement athletes have to meet in order to signing the National Letter of Intent. In order to be looked at by colleges, the requirements are a minimum of 2.3 GPA, 16 courses total, and at a 900 on the SAT.

“Signing meant a lot not only to myself but my family and friends,” senior Seth Woodhall said. “When I signed I felt a weight taken off my shoulders from the busy life of being a recruit. All the lessons and different task I have accomplished while being recruited led me to the moment of signing.”

About the Writer
Diana Torrealba, Reporter
Diana Torrealba is a first year Staff member and she is excited to interview people at Lake Brantley for The Brantley Banner. Diana aspires to become a journalist and work for a big newspaper company in the future. Diana spends her free time reading books and learning more English words and grammar. Diana is from...