Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Photo provided by: http://kneelbeforeblog.co.uk/movies/2017/jumanji-welcome-to-the-jungle/

Bridget Froemming, Staff Reporter

“Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” directed by Jake Kasdan, is a modern adaptation of Joe Johnston’s 1995 film, “Jumanji.” The film follows four high school students, Spencer (Alex Wolff), Bethany (Madison Iseman), Fridge (Ser’Darius Blain), and Martha (Morgan Turner) who are transported into an adventure video game. The friends soon discover that they have to complete the game in order to survive as their characters, Dr. Smolder Bravestone (Dwayne Johnson), Ruby Roundhouse (Karen Gillan), Moose Finbar (Kevin Hart), and Professor Shelly Oberon (Jack Black).

This film was great with its incorporation of modern elements into a once old-school styled board game. In the original movie, Jumanji was a board game, but in the reboot, Jumanji is a video game, which was an accurate representation of pop culture today. Modern slang was also used, adding to the modern feel of the movie.

The actors embodied each unique character perfectly, adding  great humor to the film which left me laughing. Although the characters were great, some of them were constantly objectified due to their physicalities throughout the film, which was very annoying. The film included a myriad of extras who were casted as background characters to really help create a feeling of reality.

A lot of this film was made with Computer Generated Imagery (CGI), which could have caused a lot of problems, but instead left me impressed with its quality. I could really sense how much detail the animators put into the film, and it was superb. The set design was also astounding, and I could clearly see that the designers put time and effort into the details. Looking singularly at each costume they were quite basic, but once pieced together, the costumes flowed well and added to the Jungle setting of the film. The soundtrack was another great addition to this movie. Featuring songs from Guns N’ Roses, Big Mountain and many other artists, the movie never had room for unnecessary silence.

“Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” was a strong modern adaptation of the 1995 “Jumanji. The hilarious cast and great graphics added to the plot, and the soundtrack created a great overall feel for the movie. Fans of the original Jumanji movie should definitely watch this film, because it was not disappointing

About the Writer
Bridget Froemming, Multimedia Editor
Bridget Froemming is a senior and Multimedia Editor who is ecstatic to be contributing to The Brantley Banner for her second year. She is president of Thespian Troupe 2888 with the drama department, and is heavily involved with the technical aspects of theatre, as she has worked on more than six shows with the school....