Art advanced placement underclassmen show

On+Friday%2C+Feb.+2+junior+Emily+Woods+attends+the+AP+underclassmen+show+at+Casselberry+in+order+to+view+her+work%2C+along+with+other+Seminole+County+artists.+Woods+attended+the+opening+night+of+the+event+in+order+to+support+her+fellow+young+artists.+

Photo provided by: Miryam Elshaer

On Friday, Feb. 2 junior Emily Woods attends the AP underclassmen show at Casselberry in order to view her work, along with other Seminole County artists. Woods attended the opening night of the event in order to support her fellow young artists.

Miryam Elshaer, Multimedia/Web Editor

With its debut on Feb. 2, the AP (Advanced Placement) Underclassmen show at Casselberry Art House took place until Feb. 27. The show contains art created by all underclassmen in AP art classes throughout Seminole County, with attendees varying from superintendents to principals on its opening night.

The AP show was once held at the Triple A building and contained the art of all AP students within Seminole County. However, in the recent decade, art programs in Seminole County have shown outstanding growth, so the underclassmen and senior shows had to be separated. Due to the large number of underclassmen artists, students were only allowed to admit two pieces to be placed in the show. The art show is in the form of a showcase, without any judging or competition, in order to display the great work of all Seminole County Public School artists.

“Art in general is important to me, I love all the recognition I get and I think it’s imperative for the county to appreciate all the wonderful art that is made by students across different high schools,” junior Emily Woods said. “Although, I do wish art was more appreciated and recognized in general, as the many hours it takes to complete, and materials used, and personality expressed through it, often go unnoticed.”

Lake Brantley’s Fine Arts teacher, Kathryn Farmer, is on the board of the Seminole County Art Education Association and has been tasked with the organization of show dates and locations. Farmer was specifically assigned the AP underclassmen show this year, leading her to not only prepare her students for the show but also guide all Seminole county teachers.

“I meet with the art house in order to procure a date that doesn’t overlap with another countywide show,” Farmer said. “Since the AP [show] was countywide I asked them to do their best two pieces for that, that’s the one for me that’s the priority.”

Traditionally, the board meets in order to avoid overlapping shows throughout the school year. However, this can be inevitable, as was the case this year. This put students through a stressful decision process, having to choose between pieces and the priority of the upcoming shows. Both the Sanford Art Walk and the Spring Art Show overlapped the AP underclassmen show, causing Farmer to advise students to submit their best pieces to the county show and either place copies or different works in the other shows.

“Going for a couple different shows at the same time was a bit hectic, but we all did fairly well,” junior Cara Crawford said. “It was extremely stressful but we all worked together and did what we could to make sure everyone’s stuff was ready. A few people went out of their way to show up after school and help Ms. Farmer with whatever she needed and we made it work.”