“A Star is Born” and the Oscars: A Great Romance

“A Star is Born” follows Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper), a rock-star with country twang who discovers struggling songwriter Ally (Lady Gaga), who is about to give up on her dream of becoming a singer. When Maine coaxes her on stage to sing, and Ally rises in her career, their relationship begins to unravel, while Maine fights his own inner demons.

“A Star is Born” is a world of firsts, as the movie is Cooper’s directorial debut and Gaga’s first leading role. Gaga did a great job acting under the pressure of a leading role; she made the lines so real and vibrant, so it was hard to tell that she was acting. The Director of Photography/Cinematographer, Matthew Libatique, made me feel like I was in the story and intertwined with the drama through the camera shots. The camera angles made me feel like I was immersed in the scenes. I felt like I was a part of this beautiful tale of love and loss, rise and fall. The chemistry between Cooper and Gaga was natural, and the songs were all phenomenally written by Gaga and her songwriters. “Shallow”, performed by Gaga and Cooper, was magnificent, emotional and powerful as they belted out the lyrics. In the last song of the movie, “I’ll Never Love Again”, I was immediately reminded of Whitney Houston in the way that Gaga sang the song, doing the hum that Whitney did in between her verses. The movie ended after that song and not a dry eye was seen in the room as moviegoers exited the theater.

“A Star is Born” puts audiences through strong emotions. The theater audience was in stitches during the drag bar scene, where Shangela (D.J. “Shangela” Pierce) and Emerald (Willam Belli) crack jokes at Maine. Connection was made as Ally locked eyes with Maine on the counter as she stares into the camera, singing “La Vie en Rose”, one could feel that soul connection, that desire. Moviegoers felt the spiraling as Maine gets lost in his demons, the sadness as Ally belts out that last song to a theater full of people. It pierced my soul. It gave me goosebumps every time Gaga sang, the words moving me, the rhythms and beats echoing through my heart.

During the first half of the film, Maine seemed to be in the foreground, showing his struggle with his demons as Ally rises up in stardom in the background. During the second half, the roles reversed. Maine came crashing down in the background, and Ally was featured in the foreground.

Not only is a new star born, but for the fourth remake of the movie, it is definitely Oscar worthy, just by watching the trailer alone. “A Star is Born” is a movie that will last a lifetime. This movie was not, at all as Gaga says, caught in a bad romance.

About the Writer
Corey Bleakley, Staff Reporter

Corey Bleakley is a junior and a first year staff reporter for The Brantley Banner. Reading and writing are his passions and his fascination with Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft grew his writing passions further. Corey also has a love for the supernatural, and is active in the supernatural community. Corey was involved with the National English Honors Society (NEHS) his sophomore year and he hopes to use the knowledge he gained from the club to write entertaining, and factual, stories for The Brantley Banner. After high school, he is planning on attending the University of Central Florida and getting his degree in Forensics. His career choice was inspired by meeting the famous forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden.

My Spotify Playlist