Junior Rossetti Achieves a Black Belt in Karate

Photo provided by: Noah Rossetti
Junior Noah Rossetti is being awarded his black belt on August 18th, 2018, at Reeves Karate. This is a honorable accomplishment due to the fact that it takes a multitude of belts and practice to achieve.

Amiracle Stephens, Staff Reporter

Karate focuses on self-defense and traditional fighting styles. It is taught by a sensei and involves tremendous effort, both mentally and physically. The highest accomplishment a karate student can achieve is earning a black belt, the highest of ten skill level associated belts, juniors Noah Rossetti and Kate Curly have both accomplished this.

“I got a black belt on the [August] 18 Rossetti said. “It meant a lot to me because of all the time and work I put into it over the past five years, especially all the work that was required in the numerous previous belt tests that I’ve had to do but the black belt test was by far the hardest and felt like culmination of everything that I had done in karate before it.”

Rossetti began karate when he was only 11 years old because he thought that it seemed fun and he believed that it would also look good on college applications. Rossetti continues to d karate because it has taught him how to be patient with himself and others, along with how to manage a fighting situation.

“We go through kata [which are like sets of moves joined together]” Rossetti said. “We workout practice our kicks and punches on bags with a partner, and we sometimes spar with each other.”

Karate does not just better the student as an overall person in the personal fitness aspect, it also allows many students to strengthen their overall bond with each other and their families.

“My parents would take me to almost all of my competitions, and my dad was actually in the kickboxing program to grow a bond with me, while getting in shape” Curly said

Some athletes such as Curly, excel past the black belt level and choose to teach karate to the younger children who are willing to learn this practice. This ensures that the sport will be passed on efficiently.

“I got my first black belt when I was about eight years old,” Curly said. “I started teaching martial arts at a very young age. We would walk around and basically be an assistant. Way later in the program they developed the Legacy team. It was a select team primarily focused on teaching. We had several quadrants to memorize, teaching technique and strategies, going to headquarters weekly and monthly training, and teaching small classes at the school. We did this for years and it was an incredible learning experience.”