Boys Tennis Team Beats Lake Mary

Photo provided by: Carson Yore

Senior Reese Bennett winds up for a serve. Despite making the serve and winning the point, he lost in a tight 9-7 match.

Carson Yore, Staff Reporter

On March 2, the boys tennis team traveled to Lake Mary and won their biggest match of the season to date by a score of 4-3. The match was a huge moral victory, as Lake Mary and Lake Brantley have clashed as rivals for the past four years at the top the Seminole Athletic Conference standings.

Tennis matches consist of the best of seven matches: five singles and 2 doubles. Although Lake Mary had an early 2-0 advantage, the boys rebounded by winning both the line 1, line 4, and line 5 singles matches to take the lead 3-2. With only two doubles matches remaining, the line 2 doubles team took matters into their own hands and sealed the match at 4-2, barring any Lake Mary comeback attempt. Lake Mary did rebound to make the final score a little closer at 4-3, but it was too little too late. The match puts Lake Brantley ahead in the standings a game, and will help their seeding at districts.

“Beating Lake Mary was a big confidence booster for the season,” freshman Dean Scornik said. “Now we know if everyone plays well we are going to be very tough to stop in the future.”