Bob Ross Tuesday; a New Brantley Tradition

Olivia Carter, Sports/Graphic Design Editor

When seniors Riley Ward and Lane Clifford asked a stranger at Chipotle where he bought his shirt that featured the beloved painter Bob Ross, they were unaware that it would become a new fashion trend at Lake Brantley. The pair bought the same attire as the stranger and before they knew it, their friends purchased the same shirt. The trend spread so quickly that the local Walmart ran out of most sizes. The famous painter who passed away over two decades ago recently sparked a new tradition at LB, commonly known as Bob Ross Tuesday.

“My favorite part about Bob Ross Tuesday is when I see someone I don’t know wearing a Bob Ross shirt,” Clifford said. “It’s grown way outside my friend group, which is really funny. I didn’t think anyone else would buy the shirts. All of our friends thought they were funny so they bought them too, then we all planned to wear them to school one day and that’s how it all started.”

The group of Bob Ross fans wear their shirts on the second Tuesday of every month. The group is not exclusive, and participants encourage other students to join. With an estimated number of twenty to thirty students currently participating, the trend has spread to faculty members. In addition to some teachers purchasing shirts, Dr. Daniel has joined the group by sporting her Bob Ross apparel on the designated Tuesdays.

“Last Bob Ross Tuesday, Dr. Daniel and Ms. Cumberland participated,” senior Maria Peña said. “I think it is important for the faculty to get involved because it shows the bond that can form between students and administration. I love seeing the amount of people that participate grow each time.”

Bob Ross is unfamiliar to many high schoolers, but adults know him for his mystical mountain landscapes and ability to paint nature. However, through modern day television and Bob Ross Tuesdays, students are getting to know the renowned artist and his work better. There is a collection of videos on Netflix that features 26 episodes of his show, The Joy of Painting. Viewers can watch Bob Ross transform a blank canvas into a winter wonderland, colorful valley, or tranquil sunset with their very own eyes.

“We all knew about Bob Ross before [the shirt],” Ward said. “He’s a wonderful artist and I enjoy the show very much. Bob Ross will live on forever.”