New Year, New Additions to Brantley’s Administration

Ashley Swander is the new discipline administrator for Lake Brantley. All of discipline is located in Building Six where as previously it was located all over campus.

Photo provided by: Constance Phelan

Constance Phelan, Editor-In-Chief

Lake Brantley welcomed new administrator Ashley Swander at the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year along with other new faces and changes. Swander’s role is to handle discipline along with Jeralee McIntyre and she will also be in charge of graduation.

“My primary role is to handle discipline, which is different from the past because it used to be spread out among all the buildings,” Swander said. “Now it is housed solely in Building six so it is myself and Ms. McIntyre that are doing all discipline for the school. I do have other obligations. I am responsible for graduation and the teacher induction program which partners new teachers with a peer teacher.”

When she was young, her grandfather, a former teacher, would pick her up and they would play school. Swander would act as the teacher and would even assign him homework. Despite the fact that Swander dreamed of working in education, she received her degree in business and marketing.

“I saw he [her grandfather] struggled to support a family on a teacher’s salary so as much as I wanted to teach I thought ‘No I don’t want to do that, I want to make more money’,” Swander said. “So I decided to go to UCF and received my degree in marketing. Every job I got I was not happy, it just wasn’t me. I didn’t feel like I fit, it just was not what I wanted to do. So after about my third job where I was just miserable, I thought why don’t I suck it up and go back to doing what I always wanted to do, and I have been here ever since.”

Swander previously worked at Oviedo High School as a teacher. Her favorite part of working in education is being able to help students grow and understand. She is focused on building strategies to help students in the classroom, specifically at-risk and struggling kids.

“She is very smart, very helpful, and very kind to the students,” McIntyre said. “She has a great rapport with students and she works well with the parents, but her greatest asset is that she has a great attitude about work every day.”

During her first few months at Brantley, Swander worked mainly in discipline, but also helped Leadership out with the Freshmen Assembly. Later in the year she will begin to work with graduation.

“She was very encouraging and made sure that I understood everything,” junior Dante Edwards said. “She is also very interested in making sure everyone feels comfortable.”