Blue Out Game

Lake Brantley Cheer team made blue ribbons to wear to the basketball game in honor of the two fallen officers, Sgt. Debra Clayton and Deputy Norman Lewis. Through the efforts of Cheer and Leadership, $202 were raised in donations for the officers' families.

Photo provided by: Barbara Haper

Emily LaMontagne, News Editor

On Jan. 13, the boys’ JV and Varsity basketball games against Lyman High School were dedicated to the two fallen police officers, Sgt. Debra Clayton and Deputy Norman Lewis. Cuff’s Crew, the name given to the student section at the basketball games, showed their support by wearing blue in their honor.

“It was such a nice feeling to see all of the student section come together and wear blue in support of the officer and her family,” junior Angelina Burke said. “Before the game, everyone stood for a moment of silence to honor the officers.”

During the game, cards were set out on tables for everyone to sign so they could express their condolences to the officers’ families. In addition to the blue clothing worn by the student section, senior and Varsity cheerleader Gracie Friedl made 400 blue ribbons for people to pin on their shirts. Before the game, the National Anthem and a tribute song were played by two band members.

“I got the idea [to make ribbons] because I made pink ribbons for breast cancer awareness,” Friedl said. “Everyone wore them so it was a good way to spread awareness.”

The Varsity team lost to Lyman with a final score of 45-59, but the night as a whole was a win. Through the combined efforts of the cheer teams and Leadership, $202 in donations were raised for the families of the officers. The passing of the two officers had a profound impact on the local community due to the fact that the Lyman assistant basketball coach was the husband of Clayton. Lake Brantley showed that the officers and their families will remain in their thoughts.

“It made me feel like our students were united as a community and student body,” cheerleading coach Barbara Haper said. “My heart overflowed with hope and joy seeing the kids come together.”