Voting Matters

Photo provided by: Aurora Jimenez Castro

Many Americans have the audacity to question if their votes matter or what a primary election is. This not only gives insight to the ignorance within America’s political culture, but it highlights the political culture that the nation has welcomed over the last four years. All Americans have the responsibility to vote even if it is not a major election. The act of voting for a candidate not only fulfills a person’s civic duty, but can work to unite the country against  the dangerous path we are approaching. If we as Americans stand back and simply complain about the results, but never take action then we have no right to argue with the results or the people elected. The quote, “if you didn’t play the game, you can’t complain,” embodies this idea the best. The quote indicates that if people are not willingly to put in the small amount of effort that voting requires, then they have no right to complain about the people in power. The excuse that people are not voting because their vote will not matter is dated and simply untrue. This idea that one vote will not matter will echo throughout cities, states and ultimately the country. If we adapt to this idea and accept absence of votes, a lack of representation within the country will grow. Eventually by extension it will promote insufficient societal progression for the nation.

Another reason it is irresponsible to skip elections is based on the years of struggle and conflicts our predecessors endured in order to ensure every man and woman had the right to vote. By ignoring elections, we are defeating the political rights guaranteed to all citizens that uphold equality and represent the nation. If citizens refuse to vote, then they are refusing to educate themselves on the political climate of the country, thus pushing America back to the past. Every country is supposed to encourage change and possess the desire to foster growth, but by ignoring the simple right to vote, Americans are stunting that growth.

America is easily one of the greatest countries in the world, but the new generations that are rising up are limiting the future of our country altogether. As Americans we face struggles in our representation and leadership, but the only way to combat these issues is to exercise our civic duty by voting.

About the Contributors
Madison Harris, Business Manager

Madison Harris is a Junior and second year staff member. Madison is the Business Manager and one of the multi-media editors for the 2018-2019 school year....

Aurora Jimenez Castro, Staff Reporter

Aurora Jimenez Castro is a junior and a first year staff reporter.Currently she is working on getting her Gold Award in Girl Scouts. She also enjoys participating...