Robinson performs in professional orchestra

Junior+Amilyah+Robinson+poses+outside+of+the+Dr.+Phillips+Center+for+Performing+Arts.+Robinson+played+for+%E2%80%9CPeter+in+the+Wolf%E2%80%9D+in+2018.+In+our+last+show+the+house+was+completely+full%2C+it+was+so+great+to+see+the+audience+just+staring+at+you+down+in+the+pit.+Robinson+said.+

Photo provided by: Provided by: Amilyah Robinson

Junior Amilyah Robinson poses outside of the Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts. Robinson played for “Peter in the Wolf” in 2018. “In our last show the house was completely full, it was so great to see the audience just staring at you down in the pit.” Robinson said.

Brooke Holland, Staff Reporter

With the unrelenting pressure put on high school students to be involved in as many extracurricular activities as possible while still maintaining their academics, it can be difficult for students to manage it all. Junior Amilyah Robinson goes above and beyond, filling her time with band as well as track and field practices, but also playing in a professional orchestra with Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts.
After finding her love for music when she was six years old in the church where her father preached, Robinson has continued her devotion to music. This dedication resulted in a recent honor of being the only band representative to compete at All State, a state-wide competition for high school band students.
“I was so grateful for that,” Robinson said. “It was a great experience, because with those types of things you never really know, it is never guaranteed. It’s either your auditions perfect and you’re in or you slip up and your chances are gone so I was just really excited to be a part of that experience and be able to meet new composers and people that had the same passion as me.”
Robinson also played in the orchestra for “Peter in the Wolf” at the Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts in 2018 as well as “The Nutcracker” with Orlando Ballet in 2019. At school, Robinson spends a considerable amount of time playing as percussionist in the school band. Her year starts with playing quads for drum line during marching season in the summer and into the beginning of the school year, with concert season following right after, while simultaneously playing classical and jazz music during band class.
“I think the thing that separates her the most is her drive and intensity, like her self-will to do extremely well,” Band director Bradley Wharton said. “She is very passionate about what she does, she practices, she prepares very well. She is just very analytical that way. That’s proven successful for her because she’s had many accomplishments come her way.”
A “busy bee” would be an understatement when it comes to describing the number of things Robinson dedicates her time to. Not only does she spend countless hours rehearsing, practicing, performing and competing, but she excels in them.
“I would have to say sports and music definitely strengthened my time management, my mental stability, just being stronger as a person and being more open minded,” Robinson said. “It’s great to have one thing you’re focused on but it is great to have variety to help you build on that skill as well.”