Dress for Success

Photo provided by: Anna Wesley

Junior Danyele Heier, sophomore Rachel Narvaez and junior Ricky Rivera represent Brantley’s SGA while at a D3 Session on Oct 14. The event went from 9am to 3pm and featured a photo booth, DJ, and workshops set up in classrooms.

Angelina Jonkaitis, Journalism 1 Reporter

Schools have a specific dress code that provides students with the freedom to express themselves in clothing, but with restrictions. Dress code can improve academic success, reduce violence and increase the safety of students.

Dress code allows students to dress for success and to practice having restrictions when going into various work fields. It is not just schools that require dress codes, basic jobs that include a dress code come off as more professional and highly respected. Dress code specifically in school allows students to show off their style, yet with limitations. These rules are not just made to target clothes that are too revealing, but also clothing that contains racist or hateful language.

Dress code can promote better behavior in students and can allow them to freely choose what they wear but still show discipline. In Disadvantages & Advantages of High Schools Adopting Dress Codes having specific codes can promote safety and reduce the amounts of fights and problems faced during school days. It also establishes order helping students focus more on their studies. In The Importance of a Dress Code for Professionalism, dressing with the right attire can make someone and their job seem more positive. It can also make others around them feel more comfortable. According to “Seminole County Public Schools Student Appearance and Dress Code 2015-2016”, student appeal might not be appropriate to wear to school despite it being allowed in other settings. Such as hats, bandanas, hoods or any other head garment is not allowed in Seminole county public schools. Although head garments are okay in settings outside of school hats can show disrespect and for safety reasons the school does not allow it. Also Seminole county does not allow shirts that promote illegal activities like use of drugs and alcoholism and prohibit inappropriate tee-shirts. Therefore schools teaching students what is allowed and what should not be allowed is not a negative thing but a lesson for students to take onward into the future.

Though some work fields have a dress code most jobs care less about a person’s attire and more on the actual work. Another side is that dress code, according to Her Campus “Dress Code Sexism”, rules are difficult for any girl attending public schools as they feel that the dress code is designed to specifically monitor girls’ clothing such as yoga pants and shoulders showing. No one watches to see if a boy’s cargo pants rise but are watching to see if a females skirt rises a bit. The talk about professionalism goes off the record as boys can wear basketball shorts and sag their pants which is a violation to Seminole county’s dress code with no problem yet if a female shows her shoulders it can “distract” men from learning. Schools allow boys to walk around with their pants on the floor yet forbid a girls shoulder to be seen. Dress code then seems unfair to woman as they are forced to cover up so they don’t promote distractions towards men when in reality not a lot of boys become “distracted” by shoulders.

Yet dress code is designed to allow students to live in a safe environment and focus on learning. It teaches about professionalism, as well as teaching about limitations which one will experience in the real world.