“Avengers: Infinity War” breaks records

Photo provided by: Aubrey Dettman

On Saturday, April 29, sophomore Aubrey Dettman attends a screening event of “Avengers: Infinity War” at Wekiva Riverwalk theater. Upon arrival, she received a Moviebill which contained facts and background information for the movie.

Joelle Wittig, Staff Reporter

After its release on April 27, “Avengers: Infinity War” broke box office records with the biggest worldwide opening ever. During its opening weekend, the film made about $641 million worldwide.

“My dad was really into comic books, so I really grew up with marvel,” sophomore Aubrey Dettman said. “I think the first marvel movie I ever saw was ‘Captain America: the First Avenger’ back in third grade, and from then on I was hooked.”

In 2008 the release of “Iron Man” began the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) that is so widely known today. “Iron Man” was an instant hit and the MCU continued expanding rapidly, resulting in a current count of eighteen movies with more on the way. As movies continued coming out, the excitement for “Avengers: Infinity War,” a movie involving all of the Marvel Superheroes, increased tremendously. The ambitious crossover included old characters such as Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), and Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), as well as new ones like Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman), Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), and Star-Lord (Chris Pratt). Fans from each movie were brought together for this iconic mash-up.

“I was really excited since I’ve waited a long time for this, but as it got closer I got worried knowing this movie would change everything,” junior Tori Piscitelli said. “I was looking forward to seeing all the characters’ new looks and the jokes [in the movie].”

Despite the widespread success, some disagreed with the enthusiasm. Many believe a movie should not require background knowledge of the MCU or disliked the overall performance of the characters they previously loved. With so much build up, the film had pressure to please its audience, and many found that it did not live up to their expectations.

“The only good thing about the whole movie was Mantis and Drax and my nachos,” AP Computer Science teacher Seth Reichelson said. “It was about three hours too long and it was only a two hour and forty minute movie. I’m the only one brave enough to say it was a stupid movie.”

To bring such a high income to the industry, “Avengers: Infinity War” had the platform of theaters worldwide. Fans flocked by the millions to theaters allowing the film to achieve the second highest grossing movie of 2018, second only to Marvel’s “Black Panther.” With a domestic opening of $258 million and a worldwide opening of $641 million, the numbers blew other movies off the charts. The total domestic revenue is steadily increasing, with a current total of over $562 million.

“Overall, I loved the movie,” Dettman said. “I felt that it was executed very well, despite the challenges of making a movie as hyped as this one.”