Why the government shutdown was beneficial

Anisa Velazquez, Features editor

During the government shutdown, it was a struggle to understand how anyone could justify why the longest shutdown in U.S. history was beneficial. Hundreds of thousands of people were working without pay and America looked like a disaster to other countries, all for the sake of a divisive wall. As the time went on, it became clear that while this shutdown was inherently negative, there were positive effects for both democrats and republicans alike.

For republicans, the shutdown was a symbol of Trump’s resilience and undeniable strong-willed manner. Trump knows exactly what he wants and is not afraid to put up a fight for it. Additionally, those who approve of less government involvement may view the shutdown as the start of a more limited government, which is a promising long-term goal for republicans. Trump also claims that the wall would be great for economy, that the shutdown is just a bump in the road for a promising goal.

“I’m very proud of doing what I’m doing,” Trump said during a press conference on Jan. 4. “I don’t call it a shutdown. I call it ‘doing what you have to do for the benefit and for the safety of our country.’”

For democrats, the shutdown proves the stubborn and unethical nature of Trump’s decision making process. The shutdown conveniently began shortly after Nancy Pelosi became house speaker. It seems as though Trump was attempting to make a power-move, but it worked out in the democrats favor because it showed that congress was not ready to just let him win easily. Pelosi stood strong in her beliefs and was given a great opportunity to prove herself. It was a great reminder of checks and balances between the branches. It also showed Trump’s irrational side, as he was originally offered 1.6 billion to build the wall but demanded 5 billion. Lastly, as a result of the shutdown, Pelosi was actually viewed as more likable and agreeable.

According to Forbes Magazine, About 57% of Americans had an “unfavorable opinion” of Pelosi during the Midterms. That number dropped to 52% after the shutdown.” Those with a  “favorable” opinion of the House speaker increased by 9%.

Now that the shutdown has concluded, it is relieving for almost everyone. With Americans back to work, the debt was slightly eased. For many it was difficult to see the bright side of the situation, but in reality, it showed how seriously politicians take their jobs. Most importantly, this shutdown unified the country in its anger towards the unjust actions of the government. Both parties have been completely unwilling to compromise throughout Trump’s term, but due to the outrage, they were forced to come together to create a solution.

About the Writer
Anisa Velazquez, Reporter

Anisa Velazquez is the Features Editor of the Brantley Banner for the 2018-2019 school year. She is a junior who participates in Track and Field as a...