Joe Burrow, LSU Tigers Top Clemson in National Champioship

Photo provided by: Tammy Anthony Baker

LSU Tigers quarterback Joe Burrow #9, LSU Tigers offensive tackle Saahdiq Charles (77), and LSU Tigers tight end Foster Moreau (18), Georgia Bulldogs vs LSU Tigers, Football, Tiger Stadium, October 13, 2018, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Tammy Anthony Baker, Photographer

Carson Cashion, Sports Editor

In the pinnacle game of the college football season, the College Football Playoff National Championship, Heisman trophy winner Joe Burrow and his LSU Tigers took on the Clemson Tigers in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The game, taking place on Monday night, Jan. 13, was filled with ups and downs for each team. However, Quarterback Joe Burrow, in the end, proved himself to be the best player in college football by leading his team to a 42-25 victory over Clemson.

The opening quarter and a majority of the second seemed to be relatively evenly matched. The LSU offense could not get any traction moving down the field, and Clemson was taking away the potential home-field advantage that LSU could have gotten from the game being located in New Orleans, just over an hour away from their home campus in Baton Rouge.

However, LSU struck twice late in the second half to take the lead, and they never looked back. The crowd began to cheer and motivate the team, and Clemson had officially missed its’ opportunity to keep the game competitive. LSU ran up the score the rest of the way, and sealed their first national title of the new decade.

One of the main storylines going into the game was the duel between both starting quarterbacks, Burrow and Trevor Lawrence. Both players performed well, but Burrow stole the show with his five touchdown passes and one rushing touchdown to ice the cake. Notching his 65th touchdown in the game, Burrow broke the record for the most touchdowns by one player in a single season.

Looking ahead to next season, both of these teams will see a shift; one for the positive, one for the negative. While LSU is losing Joe Burrow and other stars on the team, Clemson will bring back Lawrence in what would seem to be a “revenge tour” for his Tigers. College football has arguably the most turnover of any sport, so look to see an exciting season next year as well, regardless of how these two teams perform.