JV girl’s soccer team beats Lyman

The+girls+Junior+Varsity+soccer+team+beat+Lyman+on+Dec.+9.+The+final+score+was+3-1.+

Photo provided by: Kyra Martin

The girl’s Junior Varsity soccer team beat Lyman on Dec. 9. The final score was 3-1.

Kyra Martin, Staff Reporter

“Teamwork is a huge part of being successful. Passing, scoring, defending, pretty much everything counts.”

— Senior Shelby Gay

On the chilly evening of Dec. 10, the JV girl’s soccer team took to the field and played a victorious game against Lyman High School.  Relying on their ability to communicate with one another across the field, the girls scored on the greyhounds and won their second game of the season three to one.

The game started out close, with both teams scoring early on. As the clock counted down for the end of the first half, it appeared as though the game would go to halftime with both teams tied with one point each. With less than a minute left on the clock, senior Shelby Gay scored, gaining a one-point lead going into halftime. 

“Scoring for me in general is such a great feeling, I love it,” Gay said. “As we approach the end especially if it’s a close game, it feels surreal to score and win the game.”

The 21-player team consists of girls from all grade levels and all ranges, from first-year players to girls who have been playing their entire lives. No matter their past experience, their success in the game depends on their ability to work together. 

“Teamwork is a huge part of being successful,” Gay said. “Passing, scoring, defending, pretty much everything counts. You have to be able to be there and communicate to be successful, and along with that you make new friends throughout the season.”