AP American Government and Macroeconomics’ new yearlong schedule

Dr. Bill Geeslin is teaching a lesson to his 5th period Advanced Placement American Government class in room 8-206 on Friday, Oct. 20. Through a PowerPoint, Geeslin taught his students about laws that impacted policy in the Supreme Court.

Photo provided by: Bridget Froemming

Photo provided by: Bridget Froemming

Sabrina Bonadio, Reporter

At the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, the Advanced Placement American Government and Macroeconomics classes commenced a change in scheduling that teachers had been waiting years to be put in to place. Instead of taking one semester of each, this change allows students to take both classes as a year-long course by alternating classes every other day. These changes allow students to be better prepared for the AP national exams that take place in May.

In order to create a rotating schedule for students to follow, students taking both classes were randomly divided into two groups. “Group A” goes to AP American Government for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday classes, while their counterparts in “Group B” attend AP Macroeconomics. The schedule then flips the following week, sending “Group A” to AP Macroeconomics for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday while “Group B” attends AP American Government.

“The teachers initiated the change,” AP Government teacher Bill Geeslin said. “We went to the administration and we had several meetings with Dr. Daniel and she made it happen. [She] finally accommodated us, so credit and kudos goes to her.”

Students and teachers are hopeful and expecting great results because the new schedule allows them to be in both classes towards the end of the year. Because of this, they have more time to review and to prepare for the AP test, which could possibly lead to higher pass rates.

“It allows us to have students all calendar year instead of a standard semester,” Geeslin said. “The reason we’re doing that is to bring up AP test scores for the national exam because then it will be fresh by the time they take it in May.”

Although AP test scores might be improved following the change, taking both classes at the same time can be a struggle for some students. Students are essentially taking a second class and receiving double the academic workload than that of students taking the semester class.

“It’s hard for me to have an extra class in my schedule,” senior Kendall Chase said. “It’s also hard to remember and be tested on things that you learned a month ago when you don’t have class time every day to review and ask questions.”

With this being the first year that the change was implemented, some students have concerns for what is to come, but the results could be worth the extra effort and studying that they have to put in. The teachers are monitoring each of their classes to make sure that their students are prepared for the AP national exam.

“So far it’s working out well,” Geeslin said.  “I also have a standard semester class for AP this semester as well so I can compare the two in terms of tracking, [and] it seems to be successful.”

About the Contributors
Sabrina Bonadio, Entertainment and Graphic Design Editor

Sabrina Bonadio is a junior and the Graphic Design and Entertainment Editor on the Brantley Banner staff. She loves writing and designing and hopes to further her skills in both as well as form new relationships with other students around the school. In her spare time she enjoys playing around with Photoshop, watching The Office, and hanging out with her semi-cool friends. She participates in Interact Club, Film Club, Patriot Pride’s Yearbook, English National Honors Society, Business Professionals of America, Beta Club, and Odyssey of the Mind. She wants to eventually move to Italy after college and learn more about her origins and the Italian culture. She is bilingual, speaking both Portuguese and English, but wants to learn more languages as she wanders around Italy and Spain.

Bridget Froemming, Multimedia Editor

Bridget Froemming is a senior and Multimedia Editor who is ecstatic to be contributing to The Brantley Banner for her second year. She is president of Thespian Troupe 2888 with the drama department, and is heavily involved with the technical aspects of theatre, as she has worked on more than six shows with the school. At the Thespian district competition level, she received the MVP Tech award, and was apart of The Best Tech Crew for a One Act, and at the state competition level, she received straight superiors on her student directed scene. On campus, Bridget is a member of Film Club, Glee Club, five various honor societies, and T.V. Production. In her free time, she volunteers at local theaters, trains in Isshinryu Karate, and is a Girl Scout Ambassador. Her favorite color is dark beige, and she enjoys pink pens, fashion, and theater. Bridget loves movies, her favorites being Casablanca and Alpha. After high school, Bridget plans to pursue a career in Technical Theatre and Film Production.