Voter registration guide

With+primary+and+presidential+elections+steadily+approaching%2C+voter+registration+is+extremely+important+for+those+of+all+ages.+Seniors+were+given+the+opportunity+to+register+to+vote+at+an+on-campus+registration+drive+on+Oct.+8.+

Photo provided by: Creative Commons

With primary and presidential elections steadily approaching, voter registration is extremely important for those of all ages. Seniors were given the opportunity to register to vote at an on-campus registration drive on Oct. 8.

Cara Roth, News Editor

On Oct. 8, seniors waited patiently in the Cynthia Berry-Ted Douce Performing Arts Center for Seminole County Supervisor of Elections Chris Anderson to speak about the importance of voting in local and national elections. Altamonte Springs mayor Patricia Bates and Seminole County School Board member Abby Sanchez also spoke during the assembly.

During the assembly, students were informed about the elections process and what different levels of government could do for them. Students were also given the opportunity to register to vote at 18 years of age or pre-register if they were at least 16 years old, which 326 students did. 

“Florida law 97.041, allows a person 16 years old to pre-register to vote,” Anderson said. “As such, the pre-registration allows a potential voter the opportunity to be on the role immediately after they turn 18 years old.” 

Since voter registration closes 29 days before the election, individuals who turn 18 within that window would not be able to register to vote after their birthday. For those who pre-register, their voter registration will become active the day they turn 18 and their voter information cards will arrive shortly thereafter. 

“Voting means a lot to me, as I often like to look back at past elections and see just how close it can become, especially in specific districts and states in our winner-take-all system,” senior Ben Evelev said. “Every single vote counts, and just people around our age can determine an entire election.”

The Seminole County Supervisor of Elections office oversees more than 315,000 registered voters. It also sends out information to these voters, including voter guides that detail methods of voting, issues on the ballot and additional information. 

“I think in today’s society, where everyone is given the opportunity to receive an education, it is important to be informed before you vote,” United States history and government teacher Vita Simmons said. “Voting and understanding the importance of it is hollow if you don’t know what you’re voting for. It can be dangerous.”

According to the United States Census Bureau, individuals that are 18-24 years old have distinctly lower rates of voter registration and voter turnout than any other age group. Because of this, Anderson spent many days visiting Seminole County high schools, as well as local college campuses, registering over 1200 young voters, in hopes of increasing the voting turn-out of young adults. 

“It’s the young people who really need to vote,” Simmons said. “It’s the young people who want to see this country change as far as climate change is concerned, as far as healthcare is concerned, as far as student loan debt is concerned. So for young people who look around their country, their state, their local community and say, ‘Gosh, I wish it were different,’ then the first step you need to take is marching down to those polls.”