Reused, Recycled, Rethreaded

Photo provided by: Avery Ranum

On Mar. 22, Brantley Rethreaded opened in the Patriot Pantry. Various students from all walks of life have stopped at the collection to see what the collection has to offer. Rethreaded is free to students regardless of whether they need the clothes or not. “Rethreaded is for everyone,” Borack said. “A lot of people ask me if they’re allowed to come in because they ‘technically don’t need a donation from the school’, but I just want everyone to know that rethreaded is open to all students regardless of your financial position or anything like that.”

Avery Ranum, Features Editor

When one thinks of second-hand clothes, they might typically imagine items found in a thrift store, or the clothes passed down from an older sibling. Brantley Rethreaded is changing that narrative. On Mar. 22, Brantley Rethreaded opened at the Patriot Pantry in the front office as a clothes sharing collection, open to the entire student body, free of charge. It houses items such as shirts, pants, hats, dresses, shoes and accessories donated by students, their families and other members of the community. 

The room itself matches that of a typical thrift store, using racks and shelves filled with items separated for boys and girls. In the middle are accessories such as necklaces, headbands and bracelets, as well as shoes that come in a multitude of sizes. There are also name-brand items from places such as Hollister and Salt Life. 

“The idea was created when I was cleaning out my closet and realized how many clothes many of us teenagers have that we either have grown out of or we don’t wear anymore,” junior Brooke Borack said, creator of Rethreaded. “It’s super harmful to the environment as well as frustrating when you think about how these clothes can be put to better use by people who would enjoy wearing them.”

By advertising throughout campus and via their Instagram page, @brantleyrethreaded, the word has gotten out about the on-campus clothing hub. Many students have already stopped by to check out what Rethreaded has to offer. 

“I went to Rethreaded because my friends were telling me about it and I wanted to check it out,” freshman Madison Gannon said. “I actually found a good amount of things I really liked that I would’ve never found at the same stores I go to when I go shopping.”

In conjunction with being an unconventional resource for students, Rethreaded also provides an ethical approach to clothing. The organization helps the environment by producing less waste and promoting a more eco-friendly lifestyle. Reusing clothing ensures that items are used for as long as they can be rather than being thrown in the trash. 

“The goal is to encourage sustainability amongst students through the reuse of clothes,” Borack said. “I hope that it will…also help erase the stigma [and] embarrassment associated with thrifting or wearing something that isn’t brand new. To me, it’s like going into your best friend’s closet and finding something new.”

Though the collection is open to students regardless of their financial position, it does serve as a place for students who can not afford clothes to have access to costless clothing. 

“I believe Brantley Rethreaded is a great way to give back to the community,” sophomore Manuel Restrepo said. “This is a great opportunity to gain clothing for those who normally cannot afford it as well as exploring newer fashion types.”

With this year being the inaugural one for the collection, Rethreaded is sure to grow in size and impact.

“I think it’s very important to help erase the negative association with wearing second-hand clothing,” Borack said. “I don’t think something has to be brand new for it to be cool.”