Breaking News
  • 5/22 Graduation @ UCF Addition Financial Arena
  • 5/15 Seniors Last Day
  • 4/22 GRADBASH @ Universal
  • 4/17 Honor Grad Ceremony
  • 3/31 Senior Breakfast & Cap/Gown Pickup
  • 3/27 Senior Skip Day
  • 3/20 Senior Week: College School Spirit
  • 3/23 Senior Week: Throwback Thursday
  • 3/22 Senior Week: The Last Luau
  • 3/21 Senior Week: Twin Tuesday

Polls

What makes a novel most enjoyable to you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Celebrating the honored graduates
Times up for TikTok?

Times up for TikTok?

April 11, 2024

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

April 9, 2024

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

April 8, 2024

‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ brings horror to the big screen

Photo provided by: Boligonautas on DeviantArt
The secrets in the FNAF franchise stretch far and wide, and the movie is no exception.

On Aug. 8, 2014, the first Five Nights At Freddy’s (FNAF) game was released and soon sparked a cult-like following. A year after the first game’s release, fans were ecstatic with the announcement of a feature film in the works. Eight years later, the film was released on Oct. 29 and broke $132 million dollars globally. Despite the 30% rating from Rotten Tomatoes, it was a hit with longtime fans of the game.

The movie follows Mike Schmidt (Josh Hutcherson), a struggling young adult with a troubled past and his little sister Abby (Piper Rubio) to take care of. In desperation, he takes a job at Freddy’s Pizzeria as a night security guard to prove he can provide for his sister. During his second night working there he meets the beat cop, Vanessa (Elizabeth Lail), who explains the history of Freddy’s Pizzeria and why it shut down. She seems to know more about the place then any normal person should and perfectly sets up further mysteries and questions for the nights that ensue.

I tried my best to stay away from any spoilers and was pleasantly surprised with how good the movie turned out overall. As a big fan of the games, I had pretty high expectations and they were mostly met. The appearance of the YouTubers MatPat and CoryxKenshin was quite a welcome surprise, as they had both been avid followers and fans of the game, sharing their experiences and expertise with millions around the world. This represents a new standard for movies, opening the door for people to experience acting without a full career in it. 

The main plot, as well as the horror aspect of the movie, if it can be called that, seemed to be more of an afterthought. Viewers who were never a part of the game’s fanbase likely wouldn’t understand most of the story. The movie cannot be fully appreciated as a standalone, hence the mixed movie reviews. However, if you have played the FNAF games or know about the lore, this movie is for you. The horror part of the movie was not scary enough for most people to consider it horror; it was more along the lines of a drama/thriller with a few jumpscares sprinkled in.

In total, the movie was a mediocre standalone, but for longtime fans it is an amazing addition to the franchise and a great way to promote more players of the games. It is a good introduction to the franchise, but to truly appreciate the whole movie, playing the games first is a must.