Breaking News
  • 5/22 Graduation @ UCF Addition Financial Arena
  • 5/15 Seniors Last Day
  • 4/22 GRADBASH @ Universal
  • 4/17 Honor Grad Ceremony
  • 3/31 Senior Breakfast & Cap/Gown Pickup
  • 3/27 Senior Skip Day
  • 3/20 Senior Week: College School Spirit
  • 3/23 Senior Week: Throwback Thursday
  • 3/22 Senior Week: The Last Luau
  • 3/21 Senior Week: Twin Tuesday

Polls

What are your favorite spirit days to participate in?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Celebrating the honored graduates
Times up for TikTok?

Times up for TikTok?

April 11, 2024

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

April 9, 2024

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

April 8, 2024

Legislative session begins

The+Florida+legislature+meets+in+the+Tallahassee+legislative+building+at+the+beginning+of+2024.+They+will+remain+for+the+rest+of+the+60+day+session.++
Photo provided by: MPR News
The Florida legislature meets in the Tallahassee legislative building at the beginning of 2024. They will remain for the rest of the 60 day session.

On Jan. 9th, Florida’s State legislatures gathered in Tallahassee to begin the 2024 legislative session. 

Every year Florida’s State Senate and State House of Representatives meet for a 60-day legislative session in March on odd-numbered years and January on even-numbered years (such as 2024). Elected officials meet for one official session each year, but it is also common for them to meet for several special sessions throughout the rest of the year. 

“Legislative sessions are always terrifying,” junior Eli Sirilla said. “You never know what’s going to happen, and there’s always at least one bill that feels like it shouldn’t be legal.” 

In just the first week, House Republicans have been especially vocal, filing over thirty bills in the first two days alone. While this is expected due to their supermajority,  putting out that many so soon is incredibly uncommon. One bill has already started causing panic: HB 1519, filed by Rep. David Borrero, would put a total abortion ban into place if passed, however, no accompanying Senate Bill has been filed so it cannot be passed. 

“House Bill 1519 can’t be passed into law,” junior Youseff Chawki said. “There’s no Senate Bill that goes with it, so there’s no point in it being in the house anyway.” 

Following the last three years’ legislative sessions, there have also been expansions on the previously coined “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which would implement restrictions previously placed on schools into the workplace as well. As the session progresses,  more bills will be filed and voting will officially commence. 

“If the bills that are being proposed are passed the rights of LGBTQ+ people are going to get limited more,” senior Finn Greiger said. “Living here as a trans person is already dangerous and these bills can only make it harder for me to exist here safely.”