Breaking News
  • 5/22 Graduation @ UCF Addition Financial Arena
  • 5/15 Seniors Last Day
  • 4/22 GRADBASH @ Universal
  • 4/17 Honor Grad Ceremony
  • 3/31 Senior Breakfast & Cap/Gown Pickup
  • 3/27 Senior Skip Day
  • 3/20 Senior Week: College School Spirit
  • 3/23 Senior Week: Throwback Thursday
  • 3/22 Senior Week: The Last Luau
  • 3/21 Senior Week: Twin Tuesday

Polls

Which 2CELLOS song is your favorite?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Celebrating the honored graduates
Times up for TikTok?

Times up for TikTok?

April 11, 2024

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

April 9, 2024

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

April 8, 2024

Young Democrats club takes on Orlando

Photo provided by: Madalyn Propst
The Young Dems club hosted a rally for education on Dec. 9 at Orlando City Hall.

Many have complained about how today’s youth are uneducated and non-participatory in politics. However, here on campus, students are becoming more active in politics through the new Young Democrats club (also referred to as Young Dems). On Dec. 9 the Young Dems hosted a rally for education at Orlando City Hall. 

The Young Dems club was established on campus to get students more involved in current politics. The club is split up into different caucuses based on different issues and communities, such as environmental changes and the LGBTQ community. The club gets visits from different local politicians to educate them on various roles of people in the government and what they can do to enact change.

“I decided to join Young Dems because of all the new bills being passed and censorship within schools,” junior and Vice Head of the Women’s caucus Eli Sirilla said. “I really did enjoy being a part of the protest and being able to share my opinions on what is happening in Florida.”

The protest was set up and planned by the students of the school. They put together protest signs during club meetings and even advertised the rally on various social media platforms, primarily Instagram. Students from other schools were also invited to be speakers at the rally.

“For weeks we’ve discussed our jobs in the protest, made signs, and got permission to protest there,” senior and co-leader of the environmental caucus Niko Hiddleston said. “I think it’s a good way to spread awareness as students and speak up against the laws that are limiting us.”

Many joined in on the rally to fight against censorship in classrooms, gun violence, LGBTQ+ problems and teacher pay issues.

“I think it was a great experience,” sophomore and member of the LGBT and women’s caucus Izumi Hoenig said. “It was a great way for members of the club to participate and get a feel for protesting as it was the first time for a lot of us. It’ll also help us know what to do and expect next year when our current president leaves. It was also a good way to make some connections.”

The protest had a successful turnout with many students of the school showing up and participating. 

“Everyone who showed up was so sweet and it was a really fun and uplifting atmosphere,” Hoenig said. “Everyone was very supportive and passionate. It was a lot of fun and I’m very happy I went.”