Listen up! Podcasts that should be on your radar

Photo provided by: Anna Wesley

Whether your interests are science or fiction, math or music, politics or pop culture, podcasts are a perfect way to learn about the things that fascinate you, requiring only your smartphone and some earbuds.

Anna Wesley, Photo Editor

As students, we tend to have busy schedules that require all of our attention all of the time, making it a chore to stay up to date on current events and breaking news. Luckily, podcasts are on the rise, offering a solution to these struggles by providing many different sources to listen to news, entertainment stories, reviews and much more. They allow you to accomplish different tasks while simultaneously learning about the 2020 presidential candidates, Fantasy Football top picks or a true crime murder mystery. Podcast topics are diverse, so there is definitely something for everyone. Here are some of my personal favorites:

1. This American Life- This American Life is a weekly podcast produced by Chicago Public Media and the Public Radio Exchange. The host, Ira Glass, has a way of taking the biggest, most universal issues and breaking them down in a way that relates to our everyday lives. Whether their weekly topic is on the current political environment or just a broad idea, their reporters are always able to find interesting stories that we can all relate to. Glass brings national issues close to home while also expanding our minds outside of American borders.
    2. The Argument- This New York Times podcast offers a breakdown of current political issues and debates in a fresh way. The conversation is kept balanced by moderate David Leonhardt, liberal Michelle Goldberg and conservative Ross Douthat, each providing their own perspectives and opinions of the subject based on their political background and knowledge. This is a great listen for those who are interested in politics, but would enjoy more insight into topics from knowledgeable journalists who are on varying sides of the political spectrum.
    3. Serial- This is a podcast by the creators of This American Life and is a storytelling adventure. The host of the show, Sarah Koenig, takes the listener through a unique, exciting, and true story each season. Season one focuses on the mysterious disappearance and death of a high school senior living in Baltimore in the 1990s, while season two discusses a soldier in Afghanistan who left his post and was kidnapped, and season three takes the listener inside a courthouse in Cleveland to learn about all the injustices that occur everyday right in front of us. Each season is completely different, but Koenig manages to include everything you could hope to know about the story, except for the answers. The mysterious nature of the podcast captivates the listeners in a way that always leaves them wanting more.