Behind the Scenes of Halloween Horror Nights

At+Universal+Studios+Orlando+on+Thursday%2C+Oct.+12+an+alien+from+the+%22Invasion%21%22+scare+zone+at+Halloween+Horror+Nights+waits+to+intimidate+guests.+%E2%80%9CInvasion%21%E2%80%9D+is+located+alongside+%E2%80%9CThe+Purge%2C%E2%80%9D+%E2%80%9CTrick+%E2%80%98R+Treat%2C%22+%E2%80%9CFestival+of+the+Deadliest%2C%22+and+%E2%80%9CAltars+of+Horror%2C%22+which+are+themed+streets+intended+to+scare+those+walking+throughout+the+park.+
At Universal Studios Orlando on Thursday, Oct. 12 an alien from the

At Universal Studios Orlando on Thursday, Oct. 12 an alien from the "Invasion!" scare zone at Halloween Horror Nights waits to intimidate guests. “Invasion!” is located alongside “The Purge,” “Trick ‘R Treat," “Festival of the Deadliest," and “Altars of Horror," which are themed streets intended to scare those walking throughout the park.

Photo provided by: Bridget Froemming

Photo provided by: Bridget Froemming

Bridget Froemming, Staff Reporter

This Halloween celebration consists of five walking scare zones and nine haunted houses that draw in crowds from across the state. Full of decorations, detailed makeup, and costumes, its beauty does not go unnoticed. Junior Rachel Melendez is one of many who works behind the scenes to create character looks and scare those who are daring enough to attend.

“I have been working for Halloween Horror Nights for three years,” Melendez said. “My job position at Halloween Horror Nights is mainly the makeup, prosthetics and costumes. I got the opportunity to work at Halloween Horror Nights through my brother, who has been working there for six years.”

With a total of 34 open nights, the Halloween Horror Nights staff prepares for months in advance to ensure that guests have a great experience. They want visitors to feel as if they are inside of a horror movie through effects, scents, acting, and overall adventures.

“The costumes couldn’t look better,” sophomore Jacob Shoemate said. “They are all so detailed. Everything looks real enough that it looks fake, as if the [costumes] were computer generated.”

Since the age of three, Melendez has had a love for Halloween, horror movies, and all things spooky. Every weekend, Melendez watches horror movies with her brother who inspired her to create film inspired makeup looks.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

“The horror genre is so interesting to me,” Melendez said. “I love horror movies because I like the psychological thrill and excitement that comes with being scared. I basically grew up in that environment. I got into makeup because I wanted to recreate horror movie looks. It’s my favorite genre of movie and it intrigued me.”

Melendez fills up her schedule with a heavy academic and extracurricular load, but has been able to find a balance between her passion for effects makeup and school. She participates in everything from foreign language classes, to Advanced Placement classes, and band.

“I balance work [at Halloween Horror Nights] and school by working on the weekends,” Melendez said. “I leave for work at 4 P.M. so I have the mornings to do whatever school work that needs to be done. The most challenging part is the drive. It’s usually an hour drive because it’s rush hour when I leave.”

Melendez works with applying prosthetics to scare actors to help them embody the character they will be portraying. To complete the look she dresses them in costumes so the guests receive a full horror experience. Finding it a great canvas for personal expression and stress relief, Melendez hopes to continue with cosmetics in the future.

“Some of my Halloween traditions are to go out and get candy, and to help my family and friends with their makeup,” Melendez said. “My favorite part of working at Halloween Horror Nights is scaring people. Everyone has different reactions and all of them are priceless.”

About the Writer
Bridget Froemming, Reporter
Bridget Froemming is in her junior year and is very excited to join the Brantley Banner staff. She is a Thespian of Troupe 2888 and helps with the technical aspects of the school theatre productions. For fun she likes to read, shop, watch movies, go to parties, and take long weekend trips to Universal Studios....