Breaking News
  • 5/22 Graduation @ UCF Addition Financial Arena
  • 5/15 Seniors Last Day
  • 4/22 GRADBASH @ Universal
  • 4/17 Honor Grad Ceremony
  • 3/31 Senior Breakfast & Cap/Gown Pickup
  • 3/27 Senior Skip Day
  • 3/20 Senior Week: College School Spirit
  • 3/23 Senior Week: Throwback Thursday
  • 3/22 Senior Week: The Last Luau
  • 3/21 Senior Week: Twin Tuesday

Polls

What are your favorite spirit days to participate in?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Celebrating the honored graduates
Times up for TikTok?

Times up for TikTok?

April 11, 2024

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

April 9, 2024

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

April 8, 2024

Celebrating the honored graduates

Photo provided by: Allan Knight
The honor grad ceremony had happened on April 3rd after school on the football field. After all the graduates walked, the senior class’ top 10 ranked students took a photo.

Every senior strives for something in their last year of high school; whether it be going to the last homecoming dance or participating in as many clubs as possible, there are many achievements to pursue. Some seniors decided to strive for academic excellence by being named an ‘honor grad’, or a student graduating with honors. This is what the Honor Grad Ceremony celebrated on Apr. 3.

Honor Grad is a ceremony honoring seniors graduating with a GPA of 3.8 or higher. The seniors get to celebrate this achievement with a teacher of their choosing at the ceremony. Friends and family are also able to attend the ceremony in order to support these graduating seniors.

“Being a part of Honor Grad makes me feel accomplished. It gave me something to work towards and after the fact, it gave me something to feel proud of myself for,” senior Keira Thake said. “My friends supported me so much when I became an honor grad. My closest friends came to the ceremony and gifted me flowers, which I really appreciated. Hearing my best friends cheering me on from the stands made me realize how incredibly lucky I am to have these wonderful people in my life.”

The work that must be put in to graduate with honors is not easy, but that does not stop these studious seniors. Setting goals and working hard throughout the year can help a student achieve academic excellence.

“I have always taken my school work seriously,” senior Ila Chenet said. “A goal I set for myself is to create a relationship with my teachers. They’re more understanding when you care enough to talk to them.”

A notable aspect of the ceremony is the inclusion of a teacher every student can name as someone who aided them in their high school journey. The teachers chosen made an impact on their students by helping and supporting them as they strived to reach their goals.

I am blessed to teach amazing students,” English teacher Tracy Fitzgerald said. “To be an Honor Grad student, you have to maintain an academic focus for all four years of high school. I’m always proud of and impressed by students who choose to do that.”

The hard work of the seniors earned them the distinction of being an honor grad. After years of academic dedication, the students can get some relaxation as they await graduation. But with the success they achieved in high school, hopes are high for the futures of these bright young students.

“When I think of the students who are graduating, I feel incredibly hopeful,” Fitzgerald said. “There is so much talent, drive and compassion among our students. I believe [their] generation will be able to right many of the wrongs we are now facing in our country and the world.”