Breaking News
  • 5/22 Graduation @ UCF Addition Financial Arena
  • 5/15 Seniors Last Day
  • 4/22 GRADBASH @ Universal
  • 4/17 Honor Grad Ceremony
  • 3/31 Senior Breakfast & Cap/Gown Pickup
  • 3/27 Senior Skip Day
  • 3/20 Senior Week: College School Spirit
  • 3/23 Senior Week: Throwback Thursday
  • 3/22 Senior Week: The Last Luau
  • 3/21 Senior Week: Twin Tuesday

Polls

Did you participate in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Celebrating the honored graduates
Times up for TikTok?

Times up for TikTok?

April 11, 2024

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

April 9, 2024

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

April 8, 2024

“They will swim in the waters we die in”; Maui fires fuel tourism

Photo provided by: Ty O’Neil
While the fires have been contained, brush fires have continued to burn in Lahaina for weeks after their original ignition.

Sparks flew across paradise on Aug. 7, erupting Lahaina and Makawao, two locations within Maui, Hawaii, into flames – flames that have continued to burn weeks later. While death tolls climb by the hour, the causes of the fires remain unknown, although some experts believe that the blaze could have been caused by downed power lines from Hawaii Electric, the island’s main energy provider. 

As the fires become more contained and the true levels of destruction are realized, the citizens of Maui have been left without shelter for the foreseeable future as insurance premiums struggle to keep up with mass amounts of inflation. 

“The same home that was purchased in 1973 for $75,000 would simply not be ensured for the same amount it would cost to rebuild it now in 2023,” senior Genevieve Alexander said. “The people who have lived there for generations aren’t going to be able to afford to rebuild a home that’s price has increased tenfold. It’s going to leave them no choice but to sell the land to the highest bidder.” 

While some may assume that the tourism industry would plummet in the wake of wildfires, the opposite is likely to be true. With cheap land readily-available, hotels, resorts and gift shops are predicted to start springing up nearly as soon as the ruins of Lahaina and Makawao have been cleared. 

“Maui is already a tourist hot-spot; Lahaina had the most hotels out of anywhere on the island before the fires started,” junior Eli Sirilla said. “I can’t imagine how many there will be once the locals are all pushed out.” 

For years, Hawaiian natives have tried to stop the spread of tourism in order to preserve their land, culture and natural resources. However, in the wake of the gigafire, it may be too late to save Maui from the full blown Americanization that locals have long been fighting against. 

“I’ve seen so many fundraisers to replace family homes and provide medical care for the victims of the fires,” junior Maggie Connor said. “I just hope that people across the U.S. can raise enough money for people to get their homes back.”