Breaking News
  • 5/22 Graduation @ UCF Addition Financial Arena
  • 5/15 Seniors Last Day
  • 4/22 GRADBASH @ Universal
  • 4/17 Honor Grad Ceremony
  • 3/31 Senior Breakfast & Cap/Gown Pickup
  • 3/27 Senior Skip Day
  • 3/20 Senior Week: College School Spirit
  • 3/23 Senior Week: Throwback Thursday
  • 3/22 Senior Week: The Last Luau
  • 3/21 Senior Week: Twin Tuesday

Polls

If you were in a marching band, what instrument would you play?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Celebrating the honored graduates
Times up for TikTok?

Times up for TikTok?

April 11, 2024

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

Beach volleyball serves amidst the sand

April 9, 2024

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts… again

April 8, 2024

How old is too old to trick or treat?

Photo provided by: Nairie De Gregory
The tradition of dressing up in costumes for Halloween originated from Celtic beliefs that the souls of the dead roamed the earth on the night of Oct. 31.

Should teenagers be allowed to Trick or Treat?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“Trick or Treat!” is a phrase that is yelled many times on Oct. 31, when kids take to the streets of their neighborhoods dawned in costumes and on the hunt for candy. Halloween is a day lots of people look forward to, with movies, costumes and candy. 

Candy is the most appealing aspect of Halloween, with many kids participating in “trick-or-treating” ranging from various ages. Some believe that there should be an age limit to this candy grabbing activity.

Personally, I believe that the max age a person should trick-or-treat is 18 (or a senior in high school). At this point in life, a kid is technically not an adult and still considered a kid, so they should still be allowed to participate. The point of trick-or-treating is to walk around with friends and family, have fun and make memories; the candy is just an added bonus. 

Additionally, for many teenagers, they feel as if they are too old to trick-or-treat but too young for a party. Most parents would prefer to see their child walking the streets with candy in their baskets than at a Halloween rager. People under 18 should be more welcomed to go trick-or-treating, rather than receiving dirty looks from nearby adults due to looking “too old” for the activity. The majority of teenagers trick-or-treating do not do it with intentions of causing issues. They do it with the intention of simply having a good time with a classic Halloween tradition.

Adults have to stop overthinking teens participating in trick-or-treating. There is not an underlying motive to commit chaos on Halloween night, but only a simple one. Halloween is one night a year, and it provides those who partake with an opportunity to be whoever they want to be. Telling teenagers they are too old to trick or treat is depriving them of a crucial experience, and forces them to grow up too fast.