Breaking News
  • 5/22 Graduation @ UCF Addition Financial Arena
  • 5/15 Seniors Last Day
  • 4/22 GRADBASH @ Universal
  • 4/17 Honor Grad Ceremony
  • 3/31 Senior Breakfast & Cap/Gown Pickup
  • 3/27 Senior Skip Day
  • 3/20 Senior Week: College School Spirit
  • 3/23 Senior Week: Throwback Thursday
  • 3/22 Senior Week: The Last Luau
  • 3/21 Senior Week: Twin Tuesday

Polls

If you could play a sport at the collegiate level, what would you play?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
The 41-year rivalry continues
Inclusivity and appreciation: the Asian Student Association

September 27, 2023

Death metal lives on: Cannibal Corpse releases a new album

September 26, 2023

Pumpkin-spiced consumerism

Pumpkin-spiced consumerism

September 26, 2023

Friday night lights just begun, but might be dimming

Photo provided by: Madalyn Propst
On Aug. 25, Lake Brantley lost their home opener to Oviedo 60-47

Friday night lights shone brightly on Aug. 25th when the varsity football team played their first home game of the season against Oviedo High School. The team trailed throughout all four quarters, and ended the game with a defeat, losing to Ovideo 60-47.

The game was a much-anticipated match throughout the student body, with the first pep rally of the school year raising the crowd levels through the roof. The stadium was packed with high doses of patriotic spirit; however, when the whistle to begin the game blew it was the start of a night no one wanted to see. The Patriots were severely losing through the first half but fought throughout the third and fourth quarter. However, the lead the Lions took in the first 30 minutes was too great of a wound for the team to recover from.

“We need to be more disciplined; I don’t feel like we are,” senior Tim Ceboute said. “The thing to take to the next game is to try and play more dominant.”  

Although some people are optimistic about the future of the season, others are not as much. With the loss faced by the team, some students are unsure what to expect from future games.

“After the game on Friday, I think we are going to have a rough season,” said junior Tatiana Hanson. “I feel that the football team needs to do more pushups and work on catching the ball.” 

Even though the feeling throughout the student body is mutual, people still found the game enjoyable, being surrounded by good energy and school spirit. The student section was filled with students decked out in red, white and blue for the game’s U.S.A. theme. The Friday night nights may have dimmed, but not Brantley’s student section continued to shine as bright as ever.

“Being in the stands we still had fun,” senior Zachary Kanaga said. “It was well handled and fun, even though we lost.”