Don’t Stress the Test

Sophomore Anisa Velazquez works on an Achieve3000 article to prepare for the FSA reading test. English, science, and history classes use the program to help students understand informational texts and prepare for the standardized exam this spring.

Photo provided by: Katie Turkelson

Photo provided by: Katie Turkelson

Mila Mascenik, Journalism 1 Reporter

It is almost that dreaded time of year again for many students across the state. FSA testing is coming up in a few months, and it is true students are not excited. However, some believe that the test serves as something to measure academic growth and as a helpful tool for the future.

According to an article on StateImpact, the Florida Standards Assessments is a suite of reading, writing and math tests designed to measure student performance. The test is tied to Florida’s Common Core-based standards, which outline what students should know at the end of each grade.  Also, according to the Florida Standards Assessments Communication, Florida Standards are performance and content standards that define what a student must know (content), and what they must be able to do with what they know (performance).

“The FSA replaced the FCAT for reading and for math four years ago now. The purpose in the state’s mind is to check at certain grade levels when it is administered for mastery of standards,” instructional coach Stephanie Sulley said. “If the students have been learning the standards and are mastering them throughout the year, then they should master them on this test.”

The preparation for FSA can be very stressful for both the students and teachers. Teachers stress about teaching the material students may need to know and students get nervous about how they can study efficiently to perform well on the test. However, maybe with a bit of modification the test can go more smoothly for students and teachers so they can possibly get better results or practice more.

“Yes, I believe the test would be a little better if the state modified it. I think the state should offer more practice tests and not keep everything such a mystery,” sophomore Anamaria Cotelo said. Also, the test should be given at a later time in the year and more breaks should be allowed and possibly snacks during the test to allow better concentration.”

Overall, there is no need to stress the test. Just come to school with a good breakfast and try to focus and think things through. Use the time given wisely, and don’t waste too much time on a question that is not clear. As long as a hundred percent effort is given, the path for success becomes easier.

“As far as the FSA is concerned, I don’t think it is that bad,” Cotelo said. After all, it is testing to see if the people taking it have the minimum skill or knowledge level that will help them later in life.”